Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Photoshop book recommendations?

I meant to ask this at the pizza bash, but never got to it. I'm looking for a book on how to learn more about Photoshop, and basically about how to "stylize" images. I'm thinking along the lines of Nik's Color Effects plug-in, but I'd like to learn a little more about instead of just having pre-made settings.

I did stop at Border's and looked at a few, but nothing really was what I had in mind. Scott Kelby's book has been great for typical stuff, but I need something else to go with it. I've had Martin Evening's book but it's a little too in depth... Thanks. Using CS, if that matters.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Photoshop book recommendations?

Steve,

Three pretty good books that I've used recently are:

Surreal Digital Photography - Barry Huggins and Ian Probert
    The Photoshop World DREAM TEAM BOOK - various
    Photoshop Secrets of the Pros - Mark Clarkson

As you might expect (knowing the illustrative kind of work I like to do on my web site), these deal with mostly the heavier fx and techniques, where you are making a conscious effort to alter an image, but, of course, one always has the option of being more subtle. ;)

BTW, regarding your comment about the nik filters (and I'm saying this without knowing if you use them or not), one great thing about the pro package is that each filter has many variable controls that give you a very wide range of effects.

Yes, the filters are basically ps actions, but incredibly sophisticated ones that are totally controllable and show you before and after previews, then allow you to fill or paint/mask effects as you see fit.

You can even save custom settings for all the filters, or create your own unique filters and save them.

Anyway, there really are no "presets" for the filters, just default starting points that you can then alter anyway you want.

Hey, the pizza party looked like fun. Did you guys discuss a November date at all?

-Steve
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Photoshop book recommendations?

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you'd answer this one based on seeing your work. First off, the Chicago gathering will be 11/12-13. Guess I should post something about that, but no details yet. Any ideas on what you want to see or do?

I haven't used the Nik filters but saw a demonstration on a DVD with Vincent Versace. That's kinda what I'm looking for, but I wanted to learn a little about what was being done in that action. I figure it's like learning how to use a camera in manual mode, in some ways - and I'm glad I have that background.

I'll check out those books, and eventually add that software I'm sure.

Thread Information