Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

What is the most accurate color proofing monitor on the market?

Hey guys, Im looking into getting a new monitor and I want the very best monitor on the market for color proofing, I work with a lot of print stuff and want a monitor that will match my pantone charts AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE! Anyone have any suggestions..Opinions?? Thanks!

drg

Re: What is the most accurate color proofing monitor on the market?

Quote Originally Posted by jpf566
    Hey guys, Im looking into getting a new monitor and I want the very best monitor on the market for color proofing, I work with a lot of print stuff and want a monitor that will match my pantone charts AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE! Anyone have any suggestions..Opinions?? Thanks!
    Apple, PC/Windows, or proprietary pre-press system? Do you want to try and find an actual CRT?

LaCie is making a LCD reference monitor now that for around $1400 (my last catalog and online probably cheaper) includes calibration tools and software. This has always been pretty much the gold standard. Apple monitors are just as good and for some things better. It is dependent upon how they are set up!

Are you doing actual pre-press work and if so what end printer/offset system? Most of these come with a built in or provided front end specified by the manufacturer/OEM.

The first set of tools you'll need to truly match PANTONE is one of the kits including the guide or chip sets/standards books/cards. This goes with(or comes with if you prefer) the calibration tools to keep the system in sync. PANTONE's Huey is NOT the tool you want. It is a low end version that doesn't have enough overall power and flexibility to do professional level work. In fact it won't even fully differentiate each the ranges in the pallette from my experience.

The official licensed PANTONE sets are expensive. And each medium is made differently for scanner, direct/indirect lighting, paper etc. Full licensed reference sets are well over $1000.

Then you'll need to learn how to profile both the monitor and printer/output device to one another with the appropriate routines. If you scan at all, be sure to get the scanner targets as they are quite different than either camera or paper targets. Scanner targets always seem to be the least expensive.

X-Rite and Laser Soft both make full high end packages that have all the targets and software needed to calibrate the entire system.

The final puzzle piece is to have known lighting that is repeatable and replaceable (still have to calibrate regularly) to compare the final output to the screen.

Matching PANTONE well is not cheap, but has become pretty routine if not easy to get started. You'll see the biggest problems initially with duo or mixed tones/color sets and finish. This is usually from hurrying the calibration of the output and not letting it stabilize before swatch calibration.

Hope this is a start and you'll find several people here who can help if not guide you further.

Best of luck and Welcome to Photography Review!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

I'm using a mac. yeah ive seen the Lacie monitors and have also been looking into Eizo's..

Im not working for a print company I am in marketing and I design magazine and other print advertisements that are then sent to a print company. Thanks for the mention of Pantones Huey, i had seen that and was considering it but now know to stay away. Thank you.

I cant really monitor the printer output since I am not dealing with the printer. I just want my monitor to display the most accurate color as i can make it.

Also look at the NEC LCDs. They are highly rated. They make a nice 24" for around $1200. You can buy them with the color calibration goodies already included.

Doug

drg

I'm glad the NEC's got mentioned. That was always my monitor of choice in the CRT era. I've budgeted a NEC for next year and am seeking all the feedback I can get regarding these! Durability, update/refresh, usable contrast ratios, optimum ambient lighting setup and so forth.

Interesting site you have there Doug.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information