Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

what is "IE high memory usage?"

I just got a new laptop, and after just a few days of using it, I keep getting this message:

high memory usage by Windows Internet Explorer. Memory used 445mb. AVG recommends closing and reopening application for faster performance.
    (AVG has been my security/anti-virus/firewall, etc. for a lot of years, and never gave me a problem).

My computer does not seem slow when starting Windows or IE.

Below the message was a link "suggest to change options" which lead to the System Tray Notification.

Most of the options under System Tray Notification were checked.

I don't understand the message or what any of this means.

I did notice one option that was checked that I'm wondering if it has anything to do with it - I don't use games.
    "Enable game mode when a full screen application is executed."

I'm technically a bit slow, so forgive any less-than-intelligent questions.

Thanks for any info, help......whatever!

Liz
    Olympus E-M5 digital camera
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Re: what is "IE high memory usage?"

This is nothing to worry about. If you have several windows open at the same time, some of them may have lots of graphics, which use up plenty of memory, so the message is there to let you know that things may run a bit slow and giving you an option if they do. If all is well you can ignore the message.

That is the simple explanation...

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Footski View Post
    This is nothing to worry about. If you have several windows open at the same time, some of them may have lots of graphics, which use up plenty of memory, so the message is there to let you know that things may run a bit slow and giving you an option if they do. If all is well you can ignore the message.

That is the simple explanation...
    Simple is good! Just what I was hoping for. I just changed my computer lifestyle of many years from desktop to laptop. I recently retired and wanted to downsize my office equipment.

I was a bit afraid that I would not like the laptop.....but I love it! I spent a lot more money than I would have had I purchased a desktop, but after using this one for almost a week, I think it's worth it! Surprisingly the screen (for which I paid extra for better resolution) is beautiful!

Thanks for your quick reply!

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

A pleasure. Your new machine will be running Windows 7 with service pack one and these messages are part of the program. I have had my new laptop for 10 months now and don't know how I did without it before!!!!

AVG is your anti-virus/security program, and it has fairly arbitrary threshholds built in for monitoring the behavior of your applications. A real runaway app could kill your system's performance, which is why AVG monitors memory usage, but if performance is unaffected then ignore the message.

I think there's a way to adjust that threshhold so the message doesn't appear as often, but dang if I can find it now.....

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by wfooshee View Post
    AVG is your anti-virus/security program, and it has fairly arbitrary threshholds built in for monitoring the behavior of your applications. A real runaway app could kill your system's performance, which is why AVG monitors memory usage, but if performance is unaffected then ignore the message.

I think there's a way to adjust that threshhold so the message doesn't appear as often, but dang if I can find it now.....
    Thank you for this information. This is also good news. The computer isn't affected, thankfully.

Liz
    Olympus E-PL5
    Lenses
    Olympus
    45mm/f1.8, 40-150

Panasonic
    14-45
    25mm/f1.4
    14mm/f2.5

Thread Information