Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: Watermarks

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Watermarks

So recently I went to the bookstore and bought a "For Dummies" book on my specific version of Adobe Photoshop Elements. Thought I had it all covered.

But I still can't figure out how to 'watermark' photos! Nothing in the index or table of contents that looks helpful. Rats.

Any help on this?

I have my pics on an iMac, and edit with Elements 4.0. I'd like to start adding a (c) LAWelles on the better ones before adding them to an online gallery.

Thanks.
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

Re: Watermarks

There are lots of ways to create watermarks, the simplest being to create a text layer with your watermark text in it. You can tweak the effect and transparancy as it suits you. Some people insert more than one.

Here's one process that's a bit more involved...
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/pho...swatermark.htm

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Make the text file as above (or a graphic). Make transparency suit and make an action to do it to a folder of images. Personally I wouldn't bother. If you are that precious about copyright don't put it on the web. Or use an impossibly small jpeg.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

This tutorial really helps me when I'm learning watermarks, check this one too!

http://www.oman3d.com/tutorials/phot.../watermark.php

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Thanks everyone. I'm actually not sure why I'm thinking of doing this - I have no copyright on my name or anything, and not a professional sending out proofs or anything . . .
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

Quote Originally Posted by OBie
    Thanks everyone. I'm actually not sure why I'm thinking of doing this - I have no copyright on my name or anything, and not a professional sending out proofs or anything . . .

I've already found one of the pictures I have on my flickr page being used on a commercial site. While I'm flattered that my stuff would be used, at the very least I want to know about it and be credited for it and, if they're making money off my work, I want to be paid for it.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I've already found one of the pictures I have on my flickr page being used on a commercial site. While I'm flattered that my stuff would be used, at the very least I want to know about it and be credited for it and, if they're making money off my work, I want to be paid for it.
    Yep, it really upset me when I found pictures that were stolen off my company website and where being used by a competitor..Talk about having no scruples..Now I insert our company logo on all pics I want to protect..
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Yeah, it's really sad. I put a small logo on the lower right part of my pics. Later, I saw it on Flicker and my logo was gone! Some one had stolen it!
    Last edited by transparency; 09-24-2007 at 06:07 PM.

I shoot kids and I like it...

I am going to revive this thread by adding my experience: I found a bunch of young girls using my Nascar pictures on their myspace pages....I am so glad now that I watermarked them....At the time I didn't realize that smugmug did not right click protect my images in a "regular" account...I have since upgraded to a pro account where they can't be saved but I still watermark them....where there is a will there is a way and I dont want to stop posting my pictures for others because there are a couple of people who have yet to learn respect....besides they thought enough of my images to use them, I think thats kinda cool but not without credit or permission....

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Quote Originally Posted by craftgirl
    I am going to revive this thread by adding my experience: I found a bunch of young girls using my Nascar pictures on their myspace pages....I am so glad now that I watermarked them....At the time I didn't realize that smugmug did not right click protect my images in a "regular" account...I have since upgraded to a pro account where they can't be saved but I still watermark them....where there is a will there is a way and I dont want to stop posting my pictures for others because there are a couple of people who have yet to learn respect....besides they thought enough of my images to use them, I think thats kinda cool but not without credit or permission....
    This whole "no right click" is a false sense of security and doesn't prevent a picture from being copied or downloaded. It is a technique that creates an inconvenience. Typically this uses JavaScript to disable the right click. Disable your JavaScript, and presto. View the page source and you can trace through to the exact location on the server. And there's nothing saying that someone can't hit ALT-PRINTSCRN (assuming windows) and take a snapshot of the screen. Nothing preventing someone from going through their internet cache files and look for the picture there.

In reality, all the disabled right click does is keep the honest people out (which aren't the problem) and perhaps keep out the non-technical dishonest people out. But if it's on the web and it is viewable, there is very little you can do to prevent unscrupulous person from saving your pictures. If your really concerned about it, keep the pictures small, and watermark the heck out of them.

As the old saying goes: Locks only keep honest people out.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

I got pictureshark,free, from Gizmo Richards' 46 Best free utilitiy site-AND Faststone Image Editor-both good,
    He has a lot of good sites offering advice and free programs,never had any problems with his sources...of course I "McAfee " ( free mozilla plug-in,tells you about what you google,etc) sites,get reviews, before downloading...and only from the original home site..be really careful of that !
    Belt AND braces...
    Good Luck !!
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/dr/b..._utilities.htm

" Got Soul, but I'm Not a Soldier "
    The Killers

“ Make no judgments where you have no compassion ”
    Anne McCaffrey

" If you wish to know what a man is, place him in authority.'
    Yugoslav Proverb

It's bad when they steal your work, and it's difficult to get paid when they do, but I hope everyone checks out this thread because there's an effort now (the 'Orphan Copyright' bill) to essentially allow people to remove automatic copyright protection from image creators, allow the use of copyrighted material at no cost if someone else has stolen it and reposted it sans copyright. (In other words, it allows someone to create an 'orphan' by killing the parents and then 'adopt' it Great!)

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...353#post293353

Myspace isn't good for much, but they take the theft of photos seriously.

All my pics have a watermark across the middle of them and are right click protected. As someone said that's a false sense of security. If someone wants to steal the pics they still can and it's easy.

I had one kid who stole from me constantly. I finally turned him into myspace. They immediately removed my photos. As soon as he did he put another one of my pics up. His account was deleted. He can create another one, but I highly doubt he'll put my photos up again. Unless he wants his next one deleted.....
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite