Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Post Want to take scheduled 'point in time' snapshots

Hello,

I am looking for a camera/software that is capable of taking a single snapshot every xx minutes (i.e., 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc) and then saving the snapshot off to a local directory (with maybe the filename altered each time, i.e., file0001, file0002, etc)

I am about ready to start a pool construction project, and am looking to capture a ‘point in time’ snapshot (single capture every 30 minutes apart from 7:00a – 7:00p , Mon – Fri) of the entire construction process (over a 6 week timeframe). I will later string the captures together and make a construction summary of the build.

Is anyone aware of a hardware/software solution that is capable of providing scheduled captures like this? I have been researching different products with different software functions, but have not been able to find a product with a function like this. Web camera would be ok for this function...

Appreciate your feedback.
    Chris

Time Lapse

Chris-
    That's an interesting project you have planned. There are a bunch of cameras that will do what you want. I think there may be some software solutions, too. I know the Canon S70 and S80 will do what you want. And I think the Canon G6 and S3 IS might also. I believe all of the new wireless digital cameras do can also shoot at timed intervals. Here's a link to an article I wrote on wireless digital cameras. It compares all the specs and has links to the review pages and manufacturer sites:

Wireless Digital Camera Guide >>

Hope that helps get you started. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Want to take scheduled 'point in time' snapshots

Yes, the S3 IS can do this, too. Although, I suppose you would want to get a power adaptor, rather than depend on batteries, and you might need to change the memory card periodically. There is also some way to get a PC to control taking the pictures, but I do not know if they can be downloaded automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    Yes, the S3 IS can do this, too. Although, I suppose you would want to get a power adaptor, rather than depend on batteries, and you might need to change the memory card periodically. There is also some way to get a PC to control taking the pictures, but I do not know if they can be downloaded automatically.
    I know someone who's done this with the Canon PowerShot S70. I'll see if I can get him to post something. Breeze Systems makes some software that will help:

Breeze Systems PSRemote Software >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Canon's Remote Capture software will take a series of photos at a designated interval, and download them to the computer over USB. It works with some, but not all, Canon cameras. It's included with compatible Canon cameras.

I think you'll have to start the Remote Capture yourself, I don't believe the intervalometer has a scheduler. It's kind of a bare bones solution, but it's free.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will review the cameras that has been mentioned and look into the Breeze Systems software. Again, thanks a bunch........

Thread Information