Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: vista/cs3

Question vista/cs3

Any assistance/comment would be appreciated. We have just upgraded to new computer running Vista. We are using CS3 beta. We need to calibrate LCD monitor (previous calibration under XP not working). We purchased Spyder2 (ColorVison) which says it will work in Vista OS. However, the instructions appear to be written for XP. The first instruction is to disable adobe gamma. We have been unable to find any trace of adobe gamma in either Vista or CS3. Can we safely run claibration? What settings should be used in CS3 to get colour acurate prints on epson 1800 and epson 2400? We have been going round in ever decreasing circles for the last couple of days, any help or comment would be appreciated
    jean

Re: vista/cs3

In Windows XP, Adobe gamma (a third-party monitor calibration program) would be found in Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Calibration. How that has changed under Vista, I couldn't say. However, even if you don't find it, I would say to go ahead and run your calibration. At worst, if Adobe Gamma is active it may try to nullify your changes. I would think that Spyder would have a detection routine to warn you if it finds Adobe Gamma.

Setting CS3's working RGB color space (Edit> Color Settings) to "Adobe RGB 1998" should make the color space compatable with your camera equipment and provide you with the least amount of trouble with prints. If you post images to the web, make sure that you change the working RGB color space to "sRGB IEC1966-2.1" (sRGB is really all you have to remember). That's the color space for web use, and will prevent your colors from looking different when you post them.

If you have a DSLR camera, you may find a menu setting that gives you a choice between these two color settings. Of the two, Adobe RGB has a greater number of color choices. This means that Adobe RGB allows for truer color in-camera, And should be your cameras normal setting.

There now, clear as mud- right?:confused5: Hope it helped a little, anyway.

-Joe U.

If you go to the start menu in Visat and go to "All Programs" find the "Startup" folder. I found Adobe Gamma in their and deleted the shortcut to it. Then I went through the Spyder setup and it works fine.

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Windows vista is HORRIBLE! Sorry, had to put it out there..

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derekz93
    Windows vista is HORRIBLE! Sorry, had to put it out there..
    Doesn't mean anything without proof!
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Ok, let me say this, ITS SLOW! It can't run big programs AT ALL! My dad does CAD work and he tried to run allias with vista, wont do it. If I look at images from my CF, it takes FOREVER! But hey, I warned you.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

We recently bought a new computer and one of the first things the gal who builds them said during her sales talk was, "One advantage is its loaded with xp media and not vista".
    I asked if she was having people come in with vista problems and she just rolled her eyes.
    I already knew I wasn't going to go vista and this woman runs an small but quite successful independant computer place, building her own computers and repair.
    Its the only place we do business when it comes to these new fangled thinga-ma-jigs.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

^^ heh, theres some proof for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Derekz93
    Ok, let me say this, ITS SLOW! It can't run big programs AT ALL! My dad does CAD work and he tried to run allias with vista, wont do it. If I look at images from my CF, it takes FOREVER! But hey, I warned you.
    Gee, my Vista machine is much faster than XP. I run some big apps on it, including stuff such as MatLab that has not even released a Vista version yet, and it number crunches very well. The husband of my fellow physics instructor is running massive, and I mean massive, computer models for DuPont and the DOD on Vista machines and has been extremely happy with the speed.

You know, most CAD programs have not been updated for Vista. What actual app is he using? If he is running heavy-duty CAD apps I'm sure he as at least a couple Gig of memory.

Yeah, some drivers might have problems as do some apps that have not be made Vista compatible as happens with new OS versions regardless of vendor. That says something about the manufacturers of the apps, not Vista or Microsoft.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Windows Vista has security holes that you can drive a Mac Truck through. One is it's voice recognition can be turned on by a sound file played from a web site. You can find it all on the security posts at Znet.....
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    Windows Vista has security holes that you can drive a Mac Truck through. One is it's voice recognition can be turned on by a sound file played from a web site. You can find it all on the security posts at Znet.....
    I just did a full Search in quite a few ways to find this on the ZNET site, including all of their sub-sites. I found nothing. Please provide an actual link.

If true, that would apply to any computer or, for that matter, anything at all with voice recognition, Microsoft or not. I have never seen anything about this at all.

Been running Vista/CS3 for a couple months now - no problems at all.

Added Lightroom and guess what.........NO problems.

One of my Kodak filters didn't work at 1st - was it Microsoft's fault --- NO. Guess who fixed it? - Kodak.
    Wes

Been running Vista/CS3 for a couple months now - no problems at all.

Added Lightroom and guess what.........NO problems.

One of my Kodak filters didn't work at 1st - was it Microsoft's fault --- NO. Guess who fixed it? - Kodak.
    Wes

Yea, Startup time is like waking up a bear in the winter. And the CAD program he was trying to run was Alias...It takes almost 10 minutes to view 1gig of pics from my CF. and the XP it only takes around a minute. The computer thats running vista has more memory ect ect ect.

Thread Information