Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Sync toy for Mac?

I just made the switch to Mac. I currently have a Macbook Pro. I usually back up my photos off of my laptop onto several external drives, kind of my own manual RAID array. After using Sync Toy from MS, I would like something similar for my Mac, Sync Toy certainly automated the process.

Most of the back up utilities either delete files as they are deleted from the main hard drive, or eventually delete backup data as the HD gets full. The theory being that most people don't need documents that are that old. Of course with Photos I don't want either of these things to happen. The contribute sync in Sync Toy was the perfect option for this.

So long story short: I am looking for a program that's a one way backup, it will only put files onto the external HD, it will never delete them.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Re: Sync toy for Mac?

I just bought an external hard drive for my Mac and have been looking for the Mac equivalent of SyncToy as well. You might want to try:

http://www.econtechnologies.com/site..._overview.html

JM

Thanks, I'll take a look
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Some Mac users here may be more informed than I about this, but I use Time Machine. I think it came with the Mac I bought. It backs everything up automatically every some many hours (you specify). I use it with an external HD that I partitioned into 320 for the time machine and 180ish for my junk.

With time machine, you can go back and retrieve files you deleted. I don't know how it works exactly, but it works. My cousin set it up. I do know that I deleted a movie I had on my HD and I went back to a date before I deleted it and restored it to my HD.

I LOVE it. Everything is backed up and I can even delete files/pics ect and go back and get them if I deleted the wrong ones.

The Mac guys here can give you more.....

Phil

PS.... As eveyone here will tell you, and you probably know, back up pics on something else as well, like DVDs or CDs. Just in case....
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Quote Originally Posted by ciddog91
    Some Mac users here may be more informed than I about this, but I use Time Machine. I think it came with the Mac I bought. It backs everything up automatically every some many hours (you specify). I use it with an external HD that I partitioned into 320 for the time machine and 180ish for my junk.

With time machine, you can go back and retrieve files you deleted. I don't know how it works exactly, but it works. My cousin set it up. I do know that I deleted a movie I had on my HD and I went back to a date before I deleted it and restored it to my HD.

I LOVE it. Everything is backed up and I can even delete files/pics ect and go back and get them if I deleted the wrong ones.

The Mac guys here can give you more.....

Phil

PS.... As eveyone here will tell you, and you probably know, back up pics on something else as well, like DVDs or CDs. Just in case....
    The only problem with Time Machine is when you run out of space it will start overwriting files. Most backup programs figure a file that is more than a couple of years old probably isn't needed anymore. I guess if you keep track of how full the drive you are using for TM and then switch out when it gets full it will never delete anything.

I guess I should put a close on this. Chrono Sync is pretty close to what I am looking for, and I think it will do the job I am expecting. Thanks Jacob.

That being said, I think I am changing my strategy: I recently invested in Luminous Landscapes tutorial for Lr 2 and watching the other day I saw a feature I forgot about: backup at import. I will back up files and whatnot using Time Machine and then let Lr back up my photos on import.

EOS,

I have a 320 gig HD and I know that at some point it will get filled, but it will be a long way off. I am looking at a 500gb or a 1Tb for backup with TM and use my 500gb to use as my "junk drawer".

I did not know that when it get full, it will overwrite files.... good info to know... Thanks

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thread Information