Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Suggestions for new monitor

Hi All,

I am building a new computer for my family and part for me. I am a photo hobbist and I am putting in a decent graphics card ect. But I have a question on monitors.

I do not game on my computer and my kids don't either. We use the computer for basic stuff. I use it for photo editing (Elements 5.0) and do not do it for a living.

I am looking for a solid monitor that wont kill the bank (hopefully less that $350). I would like a 20 in or larger LCD possibly widescreen.

Is there anything that will allow me the ability to "see" pictures on a decent monitor for this price??

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Re: Suggestions for new monitor

CRTs are better for photo editing because contrast on LCDs depends on the viewing angle, and CRTs have better color reproduction. Even if it's not calibrated using one of the fancy external color calibration tools, I find CRTs reproduce an image better everytime. It will be fairly large and heavy though if you want to get a 20 inch

Jeff...

Thanks.... I have a CRT and I like it, but it is very bulky. Mine is WAY off in color and contrast, but it is 8-10 years old. I will have to put some thought into the CRT option and do some research / review checks for a CRT.

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp
    CRTs have better color reproduction. Even if it's not calibrated using one of the fancy external color calibration tools, I find CRTs reproduce an image better everytime. It will be fairly large and heavy though if you want to get a 20 inch
    Jeff,

I think this is misleading as even a non calibrated CRT is off, well all the one's I've calibrated have been.

The newer higher quality LCD's are as good as CRT's now and they keep their colour calibration as well as a CRT. I have switched to an LCD monitor and have had no problems until recently and it was a loose connection letting me down as well as the aging PC.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Jeff,

I think this is misleading as even a non calibrated CRT is off, well all the one's I've calibrated have been.

The newer higher quality LCD's are as good as CRT's now and they keep their colour calibration as well as a CRT. I have switched to an LCD monitor and have had no problems until recently and it was a loose connection letting me down as well as the aging PC.

Roger
    Maybe im just lucky but my CRT is only calibrated using the monitor tools, not any of the expensive fancy external ones, and anything i print, either photo prints or on my printer, are closer to my crt than my two LCDs which are both calibrated using the auto calibration and a test image.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

We bought a crt a year ago...Compaq FS7600 and I'm happy with it. As soon as my wife mentioned lcd I told her I wouldn't get one as I'd heard about the color problems.
    We actually had a hard time finding a crt at the nearest Circuit City and it was way cheaper than any of the plethora of lcd screens they had.
    You may be able to get a crt much cheaper.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

I'm sporting two Dell 22" widescreen LCD's. I picked them up from Dell refurbished. Each one was 220.00 bucks. Couldn't be happier. On par with Apple's Cinema displays at a fraction of the cost.
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Thanks to all of you....

I think I have been talked into an i-mac 20". But I am only 95% sure of this. But thank you all for your time and suggestions.

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Samsung 226bw, 22" and with a rebate currently from Newegg. I love it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001096

do note you will need a Video Card with a DVI Out (not sure if you can even get a good one without it).. I like my Nvidia 8800GTS w/ 320MB as well in case you were wondering about cards... then again I use my computer for more than just your basic stuff ;-)

banished

Samsung 226bw is a great monitor, has some great reveiws

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    I'm sporting two Dell 22" widescreen LCD's. I picked them up from Dell refurbished. Each one was 220.00 bucks. Couldn't be happier. On par with Apple's Cinema displays at a fraction of the cost.
    Just got one of these and over the moon with it. Mine came with the system that I just bought

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information