Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Printers--- Canon vs Epson....

I've been browsing different printers. I don't one too expensive, but I do want one that's good.

I've seen the Epson Photo Stylus R220 or R340, which looks nice. They have 6 colors, and some nice stuff.

On the other hand, the Canon Pixma MP180 sound very, very nice. It also has a scanner, which might help somehow for something. It has the Chromalife 100 that supposedly can withstand 100 years or so. It sounds better, but I don't know about Canon quality for printers, and if this printer would be great for color photos.
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

Re: Printers--- Canon vs Epson....

canon's inks don't have nearly the longevity that epson inks do. If you're just looking for a printer, go epson. there's really no doubt. I just got an r1800 and I love it. the r340 just won an award for the best low-cost printer in the magazine i was lookin at. check out the r800 too, that's a very nice printer from what I have heard.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

I second the vote for the Epson. I also have an R1800, and their print quality is spectacular.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

deleted....

I have the epson r300 ... very satisfied with the results ... 6 colors ... only limitation is 8x10 ...
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

I've got the Epson R340, and I love it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I fifth the vote for Epson! I have the R1800 and I can produce 13" x 19" prints which look no different than when they are displayed on my LCD - it's that good!

I was more than skeptical with those store printout samples so I had to just go with the advice given. Can't be more pleased. The colors are better than anything I could ever get out of the darkroom.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

I finally bought a PictureMate, which is a 6 inks photo printer from Epson. I think it's a great printer! I did some prints and I'm extremely pleased with the result.
    "I can't change the world, but I can change my world"

I guess I'll repeat my analysis of (inkjet) printers. If your foremost crieteria is high print quality, no question: Epson has the edge. If you are looking for a printer to do a lot more than just photo printing, HP printers generally have the best paper handling features, and good print quality, but not quite to the Epson level. Canon printers fall somewhere in between: better paper handling than Epson, and (usually) better print quality--or at least higher resolution--than HP. For small, single photo printers, it seems Canon is meant almost exclusively for their own cameras. Epson still has higher resolution than HP in these printers, but HP does have 5x7 available on some, and--the main reason I avoided the Picturemate--Epson seems to only sell their ink bundled with their paper. Nothing particulary wrong with Epson paper, but I don't like the constraint. I really love my HP PhotoSmart.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm biased - I had two HP printers that lasted for ever, and one Epson that dies after 6 months.

Current printer is a £40 HP that was on sale, bought as a temporary measure.
    It's good, but the blacks are disappointing, because the black cartridge has a different kind of ink, it has a dull matte appearance on the paper where all the other colours don't. So as a result the images have to eb carefully lit to avoid really unnatural appearance in the shadows.

My A3 colour printer will be chosen after the next imaging show I get to, so I can compare side by side with the same image form my memory card ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information