Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Photoshop versus Photoshop Elements

Hello Forum.

I am learning this new hobby of photography, slowly but surely. At the same time, I am wanting to *master* an editing software program to coincide with this. I have decided to go with Photoshop, so I think, that is. Sometimes it seems all so overwhelming.

So...is there a difference between "Photoshop" and "Photoshop Elements"? I know it's kind of an odd question, but in doing research on how to use Photoshop Elements (I have downloaded the trial version of PSE 6), I keep coming across Photoshop tutorials. So I am wondering if there is something else out there. The more I try to research it on my own, the more confused I am making myself. And what's an opinion on which PS to purchase? I know there's PS CS, but that seems like a bigger gun than I need at this point in my hobby -- maybe one day when I can master the camera, which is Pentax K10D.

Ack. Help!!!!

Thanks,
    Jenny

Re: Photoshop versus Photoshop Elements

I believe they are on PhotoShop 7 now. I haven't used it since 4 so I don't know the difference. I use Elements 6 and it is easy to use for everyday editing and projects. Similar terminology and uses for the 2.

I think you'll find all you need in Elements. Photoshop Elements was designed on the 80/20 principle : that is, 80% of the general population will never use more than 20% of a full-featured application like Photoshop. Elements combines only the most useful tools from Photoshop, at a fraction of Photoshop's price.

If all you want to do is edit the digital photos you're taking, Elements is enough. If you're into graphic arts, digital painting and the like, then look into Photoshop.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

I replied to the differences between PS and PS Elementsthis in this link. The main difference is 16 bit editing mode. The main differences is that the UI is simpler and more tasks are automated. The 16 bit editing difference follows:

Most of the filters from memory - just opened it up to check and this is the list that does not work in 16bit mode

Transform
    Convert to B&W
    Auto Red Eye
    Remove Colour Cast
    Adjust for Skin Tones
    Colour Variations
    None of the Layers - so you can't create layers

Filters - are a hotch potch of what works or don't work
    The following don't work at all
    Artistic
    Brush Strokes
    Distort
    Pixelate
    Sketch
    Texture

Some options under these work others don't
    Adjustment
    Blur Noise
    Render
    Stylise
    Video
    Other

Hope that helps.

In 8 bit they all work

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I use CS3 and Elements 5.0. There are some things that I LOVE in Elements and like to use it more than CS3. I know Elements just released 6.0 and it is supposed to have some upgrades over 5.0. Elements is easy to learn and easy to use. If you are not a professional (like yours truly) and don't have the time to learn CS3 (again me), get Elements. You won't be disappointed...

Good Luck...

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

I use Elements 3 and it's all I need. When Photoshop had a half price special for Elements users, I still wasn't tempted. Basically, all I do with my photos is sharpen, sometimes despeckle, levels, shadows and highlights and saturation. Sometimes I do a bit of cloning. That covers about 90% of my photo editing. To save a bunch, you could probably check Ebay for older versions of Elements. Also, Elements does come with a raw converter or, in my case because of my older version, I was able to download the raw converter for my camera.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by JennyC
    Hello Forum.

So...is there a difference between "Photoshop" and "Photoshop Elements"?

Thanks,
    Jenny
    I'll relate my experience, see if it fits you.
    Went on ebay and looked for a good deal on Photoshop 7-its the bomb
    Found the local library just happened to have this cool book, "The Photo Shop 7 Wow! Book " by Jack Davis-bought it cheap at Amazon.com and whiled away the hours learning to edit photos.
    True, the full version of Photo Shop is a bit much but you just leave certain features alone until you're ready. The Photoshop Elements leaves certain features out that I found useful early on like full fledged layering.
    Without a good guide book to show the way, the program's features are not apparent.

They only bit of PS not in PSE that I regret not having is curves adjustment and channels mixer. Everything else like masks can still be achieved using PSE.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information