Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Noob needs program

Hey all,
    Im looking for specific recommendations for an imaging program to manipulate [make bigger/smaller] the pixel size of my digital photos.
    I have not a clue as to what that ability is called, or what is possible, so shopping for such has left me confused.

Ive attached an example of a digital photo I would like to reduse the size of [pic is 640x480 pixels]. I dont know if its possible, but are there imaging programs that can reduce this picture down to say, 80x80 pixels or so?

Thanks for help.
    E.T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob needs program-mvc-003f.jpg  

I think they all do it

All the image editting software I've used will resize images. What software did you use to get this photo online? Look for something like "image size" under the menus. The size of the pixels isn't being changed, by the way. The size of your image is what you want to change.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by E.T.
    Hey all,
    Im looking for specific recommendations for an imaging program to manipulate [make bigger/smaller] the pixel size of my digital photos.
    I have not a clue as to what that ability is called, or what is possible, so shopping for such has left me confused.

Ive attached an example of a digital photo I would like to reduse the size of [pic is 640x480 pixels]. I dont know if its possible, but are there imaging programs that can reduce this picture down to say, 80x80 pixels or so?

Thanks for help.
    E.T.

Thanks for responding Spike.

A good example for needing to reduce pixel size is posting avatars on these review.com sites. If you go into your PROFILES & look under AVATAR, you will see the maximum allowed size is 80x80 pixels.

If I wanted to use the picture I posted as an example for my avatar [which is 640x480] it would not qualify, its too big. Hence my need to reduce pixel size.

The program I used for picture was Corel Photo. I have a few other programs like Pinnacle, Paint[XP] Picture It 7.0. I CAN reduce the physical size of picture, but it doesnt reduce the actual pixel content. No matter how small I make the picture before uploading it, I get an error messsage ; "File too large, max size is 80x80 pixels".

Thanks

I use PaintShop Pro. When I select Image | Resize, I have the option of choosing to resize using pixels, percent of original, or I can give it dimensions (in inches or centimeters.) I resized your car picture by changing the pixel size, but kept the resolution the same. Here is what I came up with:

Thanks for responding Spike.

A good example for needing to reduce pixel size is posting avatars on these review.com sites. If you go into your PROFILES & look under AVATAR, you will see the maximum allowed size is 80x80 pixels.

If I wanted to use the picture I posted as an example for my avatar [which is 640x480] it would not qualify, its too big. Hence my need to reduce pixel size.

The program I used for picture was Corel Photo. I have a few other programs like Pinnacle, Paint[XP] Picture It 7.0. I CAN reduce the physical size of picture, but it doesnt reduce the actual pixel content. No matter how small I make the picture before uploading it, I get an error messsage ; "File too large, max size is 80x80 pixels".

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All of the programs you list do what you want them to. Resizing is also known as resampling, maybe you were looking for the wrong thing? Try reading the help for the programs as well, most of us here use mid to high-end software and few of us are familiar with a wide range of programs.

I know for a fact that Corel Photo does it, it used to be a decent competitor to Photoshop, you just need to read the manual to figure out how.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

From Hatrick:
    I use PaintShop Pro. When I select Image | Resize, I have the option of choosing to resize using pixels, percent of original, or I can give it dimensions (in inches or centimeters.) I resized your car picture by changing the pixel size, but kept the resolution the same. Here is what I came up with:
    Thanks Hatrick, your work renders the results I wanted exactly. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    All of the programs you list do what you want them to. Resizing is also known as resampling, maybe you were looking for the wrong thing? Try reading the help for the programs as well, most of us here use mid to high-end software and few of us are familiar with a wide range of programs.

I know for a fact that Corel Photo does it, it used to be a decent competitor to Photoshop, you just need to read the manual to figure out how.
    Ok, I hear ya. I'll re-read the "help" portion of my programs & see what I missed.

Btw, Sebastian, you mention:
    .... most of us here use mid to high-end software and few of us are familiar with a wide range of programs.
    Can you recommend any mid range imaging programs that would be considered to be good values [I say good values because prices fall so fast on software]. Perhaps something thats better than what I have listed? I d like to find something for around $100.

Thank you.
    E.T.

Ok, I hear ya. I'll re-read the "help" portion of my programs & see what I missed.

Btw, Sebastian, you mention:

Can you recommend any mid range imaging programs that would be considered to be good values [I say good values because prices fall so fast on software]. Perhaps something thats better than what I have listed? I d like to find something for around $100.

Thank you.
    E.T.
    E.T.,

Paint SHop Pro is popular, though it has some shrotcomings. For basic to high-level manipulation GIMP can't be beat. It's open-srource so its free, and it is VERY capable. Not a Photoshop killer by any means, but I like it better than some of the software you can buy.

If you really want to spend money, or if GIMP is unstable on your system, then I would look at Photoshop Elements, it's right around 100 bucks, introduces you to the Photoshop workflow, and is still very capable.

Good luck!
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thank you.
    E.T.
    You can try PaintShop Pro for free for 30 days at www.jasc.com. I use it and Photoshop interchangibly because both have their strengths and weaknesses. But, I think it's a fairly good program if you're just getting used to photo editing. I haven't used Photoshop Elements that much, but I would assume it's got a lot of the same features as many of the others in it's price range. You might be able to download that and/or Photoshop for a free trial at www.adobe.com. The trial versions are a good way to start out. You'll find out which one you like best without having to fork out any money for an application that you don't like. I haven't used GIMP, so I can't comment on it.

BTW - Glad the picture resizing was what you were looking for. It was my pleasure to help! ;)

Thread Information