Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: No 16bit jpeg?

My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

No 16bit jpeg?

Tonight I noticed that when I have CS2 set to the 16 bit mode like my RAW files are it doesn't give me the opition for .jpeg in the save as drop down menu. Is this normal? I never noticed this untill tonight.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: No 16bit jpeg?

I don't know the technical side of things, but I have always had to convert files to 8bit if I want to save as a JPEG. If you want to keep the 16bit image, save a a TIFF or PSD. That's what I do. Of course those formats take up a lot more space than a JPEG.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
    Tonight I noticed that when I have CS2 set to the 16 bit mode like my RAW files are it doesn't give me the opition for .jpeg in the save as drop down menu. Is this normal? I never noticed this untill tonight.
    I believe that the JPEG specification is limited to 8 bits. I haven't verified this today but I sort of remember it from long ago.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

My name is Alex, not Eric ;)

Ok. I have no problem with saving the jpeg's as 8bit I just never noticed that it had to be in 8bit to save as jpeg.

Quote Originally Posted by mwfanelli
    I believe that the JPEG specification is limited to 8 bits. I haven't verified this today but I sort of remember it from long ago.
    99% certain on that myself too...

!00% certain, jpeg is an 8 bit format. The difference between jpeg and raw that a lot of photographers don't realize is this. If you do most of your work with the camera, then you are likely to get better shots, shooting jpeg. If you do most of your work "in the darkroom" using Photoshop and realize that every adjustment in raw format can add chrominance and luminance noise as well as reducing your tones and the graduation from one to another, then raw is your format.

Unfortunately too many photographers use raw without really understanding how adjustments in raw work, what order they should be done in, and what additional effect they have on the final product beyond the the adjustment being made.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    [SNIP] every adjustment in raw format can add chrominance [SNIP]
    Ronnoco,

I think you meant every adjustment in jpeg format, right?

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thread Information