Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

New Laptop help...

My wife just bought a laptop and I can't get it to see the wireless network we have here at home. I'm not an IT guy by any means...

When I connected my XP Pro desktop XP Pro to our 802.11b wireless system (and this is the only other wireless device), it automatically "saw" the network and walked me thru connecting to it. It also did this after my HD failed and I had to re-install everything. We bought this XP Home laptop today with built in 802.11b/g wireless, and it doesn't see a wireless network. The network is up; I'm using it right now on my tower.

Could it maybe be looking for a "g" network - any way to tell it to look for a "b" network? It shouldn't be this hard - I must be missing something!

Re: New Laptop help...

You should be able to tell it to look at either b or g or both. Have you got a firewall running to block the access, you might need to tell the router to allow the ip address/mac address of the new laptop to allow it to connect.

Wireless isn't easy at times to setup, I know I have recently gone through all this. Also the signal strength that the laptop is receiving/not receiving could be an issue as well.

I take it you are running a wireless router/modem ??

If so what type is it.

Does the laptop have its own wireless software, maybe that is conflicting with the Windows Wireless software that is built in in the windows.

Also don't forget there are computer forums associated with all the consumer websites. I moderate in there as well, with Lara.

Thanks, Peter. I have a Linksys 802.11b wireless router that's been working fine although it's about two years old. I had the laptop set up closer to the router than my desktop, and my desktop can see the network but the laptop can't. It did come as "wireless ready" and with a firewall. I'll try turning off the firewall and see what happens.

If the firewall doesn't do it then it could be the "g" card isn't backwards compatible...rare, but I have found them. I have also found some cards just are not compatible with the Linksys system. The campground I lived at has a Linksys system and I made a lot of $$ getting people set up on it as it was a pain with some cards, and some just won't work with it.

JS

Yes there are many people that seem to have problems with Linksys cards on different wireless setups. But still it should fall back to "b" network.

What program are you using with the Modem/wireless router to control access ???

What program are you using for the wireless access from the laptop, is it windows Wireless Zero Configuration, if it is it might be conflicting with other wireless access software ??

What encryption protocols are you using ??

Have you setup the access in the router for the router to allow the laptop to connect.

Have you setup the aerial of the network card in the laptop to start sending signals when you start up the laptop, I often forget to do that ??

Have you setup a static IP for the laptop or do you need to allow roaming with the laptop for other wireless connections when mobile with it ??

If the router has a firewall, then turn off the firewall of the laptop, not necessary as the router should do the firewalling for you, unless again you are mobile with the laptop ????

There are many things that make wireless a perverbial pain in the posterior.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Let's go for he obvious - is it on?
    Some laptops have a small switch to disable the wireless to save power.
    I know it's low-tech, and it can be done in software
    But it caught out a friend of mine, I think it was a Toshiba, until he read the fine manual.

If you've got software that's not windows - try it
    A diagnostic for the wireless, or a proprietary control program will give you a better idea if it's working.
    My d-link program is better than letting Windows run the show !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Let's go for he obvious - is it on?
    Some laptops have a small switch to disable the wireless to save power.
    Bingo! Thanks guys!

Captain Oblivious here has never really used a laptop before so I didn't know to look for anything like that. Sebastian sent me an email and clued me in about it too - and I thought he meant that the wireless part of the router was on (instead of disabled). That little silver button on the edge of the keyboard was all it took!

Thread Information