Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

New Dell IPS Monitor - just purchased

I've always wanted an IPS-Panel monitor but could not find one inexpensive enough. Presently I have an HP 22" monitor which isn't as good as my old 17" Dell less expensive one which was easier to post-process images on.

Dell is having one-day sales on different items for the next 2 weeks - and yesterday their sale was on the UltraSharp 2209WA 22-inch IPS-Panel Monitor. I purchased it for $229 - the price is up to $309 today, but even that is a good price.

It is not their newest or most updated IPS monitor - but it has rave reviews on a few websites I googled (especially for photography). It is scheduled for delivery on Friday.

So, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Here is the link if anyone is interested (like I said $309 is a pretty good price for a new IPS panel monitor IMO).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=2209WA3

Liz

Re: New Dell IPS Monitor - just purchased

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I've always wanted an IPS-Panel monitor but could not find one inexpensive enough. Presently I have an HP 22" monitor which isn't as good as my old 17" Dell less expensive one which was easier to post-process images on.

Dell is having one-day sales on different items for the next 2 weeks - and yesterday their sale was on the UltraSharp 2209WA 22-inch IPS-Panel Monitor. I purchased it for $229 - the price is up to $309 today, but even that is a good price.

It is not their newest or most updated IPS monitor - but it has rave reviews on a few websites I googled (especially for photography). It is scheduled for delivery on Friday.

So, I'm quite happy with the purchase. Here is the link if anyone is interested (like I said $309 is a pretty good price for a new IPS panel monitor IMO).

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...19&sku=2209WA3

Liz
    That is a good price. I got one last fall for $415 and really like it. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Sigh, I paid about $400 for mine six months ago-ish.

But, I Love it

I also calibrate with a Spyder3 Pro and my prints match my screen.

One thing though, this wide screen thingee sucks, the new 22" monitor is only 1/2" higher than my old 19" Dell but it's 5" wider.....

Cheers, Don

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kondra
    Sigh, I paid about $400 for mine six months ago-ish.

But, I Love it

I also calibrate with a Spyder3 Pro and my prints match my screen.

One thing though, this wide screen thingee sucks, the new 22" monitor is only 1/2" higher than my old 19" Dell but it's 5" wider.....

Cheers, Don
    Don,

Do you have the same model? I know what you mean about the wide screen. My HP is 22" wide with a frame that is also on the wide/large size. I was actually happier with my 17" Dell! OTOH, the model I just ordered includes a much thinner fram which for me is good.

I'm thinking of purchasing the calibration software from MPIX that someone here suggested. Any thoughts? The other option is the Spyder you mentioned above.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    That is a good price. I got one last fall for $415 and really like it. - TF
    The price is back up to $309 - it was a one day sale. However, even $309 seems like a good price.

Do you have your monitor calibrated?

Liz

Don,

Do you have the same model? I know what you mean about the wide screen. My HP is 22" wide with a frame that is also on the wide/large size. I was actually happier with my 17" Dell! OTOH, the model I just ordered includes a much thinner fram which for me is good.

I'm thinking of purchasing the calibration software from MPIX that someone here suggested. Any thoughts? The other option is the Spyder you mentioned above.

Liz
    Yes, the 2209WA,

I also have the SP2309W but it's color rendering is no where near as accurate, even after calibration.

Long story, short. I believe I settled on the Spyder3 Pro because it can calibrate two screens. The important thing is my prints from my Canon Pixma ip4500 match what I see on the screen.

Cheers, Don

Liz

Yes, the 2209WA,

I also have the SP2309W but it's color rendering is no where near as accurate, even after calibration.

Long story, short. I believe I settled on the Spyder3 Pro because it can calibrate two screens. The important thing is my prints from my Canon Pixma ip4500 match what I see on the screen.

Cheers, Don
    Thanks Don. That's encouraging - about the accuracy of the 2209WA.....I'm glad you like yours - and I'm thrilled that I finally got to buy an IPS-Panel monitor. I've been looking on and off for a long time.

Liz

The price is back up to $309 - it was a one day sale. However, even $309 seems like a good price.

Do you have your monitor calibrated?

Liz
    Yes - using a Spyder 2. Easy and works very well. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Liz

Yes - using a Spyder 2. Easy and works very well. - TF
    Thanks! I appreciate the info - and your input.

Liz

Liz

Need some help.........

I received the monitor this morning already!

I have a question. The directions say to connect the monitor to the computer with either the white DVI cable or the blue VGA cable. In small print - "it is recommended you use the white DVI for better performance."

However, there is nothing on my pc that matches the pins. What to do? Is there an adaptor of some kind I can buy?

Interesting thing is the monitor came with the blue one already connected.

Thanks for any help.

Liz

Take a closer look Liz, if the pc is older it will be a VGA connection (blue cable).

Are you trying to hook it up as a second/dual monitor set up ?

Your video card may only have one connection. In that case you need to upgrade your video card...

Cheers, Don

Re: Need some help.........

I received the monitor this morning already!

I have a question. The directions say to connect the monitor to the computer with either the white DVI cable or the blue VGA cable. In small print - "it is recommended you use the white DVI for better performance."

However, there is nothing on my pc that matches the pins. What to do? Is there an adaptor of some kind I can buy?

Interesting thing is the monitor came with the blue one already connected.

Thanks for any help.

Liz
    I also put in a new video card at the same time so I had the DVI plug. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Liz

Take a closer look Liz, if the pc is older it will be a VGA connection (blue cable).

Are you trying to hook it up as a second/dual monitor set up ?

Your video card may only have one connection. In that case you need to upgrade your video card...

Cheers, Don
    Well, my computer is less than a year old....it's a Costco build-it-yourself HP computer - mine doesn't have many bells and whistles. I purposely did it this way to save money - and the build-it-yourself computers do not have all those internet ads in them. I probably skipped over the option to add a 2nd connection.

It's my one and only monitor! And there is only one connection.

Thanks. I need to call the person who updates/fixes my computer for a few other things, so will add this.

Liz

Liz

Re: Need some help.........

I also put in a new video card at the same time so I had the DVI plug. - TF
    I guess that's what I need to do.

Thanks for all the help you've given me.

Liz

Liz

One more question........does using the DVI connection make a big difference in performance as the small print indicates?

Liz

One more question........does using the DVI connection make a big difference in performance as the small print indicates?

Liz
    Don't know. I only tried the DVI. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

DVI almost always makes a very noticeable difference. The higher the resolution of the monitor, the more you notice a difference...

A new video card, even a lower end one, will make a nice little performance difference as well. If you have the budget and work with Adobe CS4 or newer, a higher end video card gives a nice additional performance boost to that software as well.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    DVI almost always makes a very noticeable difference. The higher the resolution of the monitor, the more you notice a difference...

A new video card, even a lower end one, will make a nice little performance difference as well. If you have the budget and work with Adobe CS4 or newer, a higher end video card gives a nice additional performance boost to that software as well.
    Thanks for the information. I need to adjust the settings as I haven't done anything yet except for a few minor adjustments.

I don't have Adobe CS4 - my only editing software is PSElements7. I will get a new video card. The person that updates my pc is due for a visit anyway. I'm also going to get the calibration software.

BTW, if I get Spyder 3 as mentioned above, should I also get the software from MPIX where I will be getting my prints made? Or would these two conflict?

I appreciate your help.

Liz

Thanks for the information. I need to adjust the settings as I haven't done anything yet except for a few minor adjustments.

I don't have Adobe CS4 - my only editing software is PSElements7. I will get a new video card. The person that updates my pc is due for a visit anyway. I'm also going to get the calibration software.

BTW, if I get Spyder 3 as mentioned above, should I also get the software from MPIX where I will be getting my prints made? Or would these two conflict?

I appreciate your help.

Liz
    The Spyder (or any hardware callibrator) will adjust the color output of your card/monitor to a 'standard'. The files from MPIX are used to 'proof' your image (I don't remember how to do this in Elements) to see what the colors will look like from their printer/paper viewed on your now calibrated monitor. - TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Liz

The Spyder (or any hardware callibrator) will adjust the color output of your card/monitor to a 'standard'. The files from MPIX are used to 'proof' your image (I don't remember how to do this in Elements) to see what the colors will look like from their printer/paper viewed on your now calibrated monitor. - TF
    OK.....Someone on PR (forgot who - sorry) posted that MPIX will send you their software to do this on your computer (for an inexpensive fee).

So, if I purchase Spyder, should that work well enough - or should I also get the MPIX one to determine if I will like the prints.......

Also - if I have Spyder, can I use the MPIX software just to check to see how the prints will look.

Or should I make it easy for myself - and just get Spyder and see how my prints come out. I'm thinking of ordering the prints - and take the option (from MPIX) for them not to edit the images.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I've never used software to calibrate my monitor - and am not the best person to set up anything technical.

Thanks for your patience. And all of your input - and the info you've provided.

Liz

What I got from MPIX when I emailed them was two files – one color profile for each of their two papers on their printers (they do not have one for the metallic paper and, obviously, for B&W). With these profiles, I can 'proof' my image in Photoshop to see how it will look with each printer/paper combination. These have nothing to do with calibrating the monitor. If my monitor is off, these files will do nothing for me.

The Spyder determines and installs a profile that the video card uses to be sure that, when it shows a color on my display, it is actually that color. It has nothing (directly) to do with MPIX printing.

If you want to know what the colors are going to look like on a print from MPIX, you need to do a hardware monitor calibration (just software won't do it) and then proof your image with one of the MPIX printer profiles.

Also note that none of this will do anything for the 'brightness' of the image - only the color.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Liz

What I got from MPIX when I emailed them was two files – one color profile for each of their two papers on their printers (they do not have one for the metallic paper and, obviously, for B&W). With these profiles, I can 'proof' my image in Photoshop to see how it will look with each printer/paper combination. These have nothing to do with calibrating the monitor. If my monitor is off, these files will do nothing for me.

The Spyder determines and installs a profile that the video card uses to be sure that, when it shows a color on my display, it is actually that color. It has nothing (directly) to do with MPIX printing.

If you want to know what the colors are going to look like on a print from MPIX, you need to do a hardware monitor calibration (just software won't do it) and then proof your image with one of the MPIX printer profiles.

Also note that none of this will do anything for the 'brightness' of the image - only the color.

TF
    Thanks! This clears it up - totally. I'm going to purchase another video card and Spyder. I just want my images to look like the subject I photographed.

After I finish the above project, I will send some photos to MPIX and see how the prints look.

Which paper do you use? Do you choose the option for MPIX not to edit the images?

Thanks again.....I feel like I'm a bit more intelligent now!

Liz

Thanks! This clears it up - totally. I'm going to purchase another video card and Spyder. I just want my images to look like the subject I photographed.

After I finish the above project, I will send some photos to MPIX and see how the prints look.

Which paper do you use? Do you choose the option for MPIX not to edit the images?

Thanks again.....I feel like I'm a bit more intelligent now!

Liz
    First, I was wrong - they have profiles for both the E-Surface and Metallic papers.

I have used all three papers and am still not comfortable choosing which for which image in color???

I have not yet had the courage to use 'no edit'. I know I should do some test images and experiment.

TF
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Thread Information