Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Monitor Calibration Software

Good Day All,
    I have a small question..... I am looking for good monitor calibration software. I am an amature and do not have extensive computer / software equipment. I have photoshop elements 5 and a CRT monitor. I am looking to get better colors. I do not have a lot of knowledge of color management, but want to get better with it...

I am looking at Huey (either standard or pro) or Spyder Express.

Anyone have suggestions??????

Thanks.....

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Re: Monitor Calibration Software

Colorvision's Spyder2 (Express,Suite,Pro) and GretagMacbeth's EyeOneDisplay colorimeters seem to be the industry standards. I personally use Spyder2Pro, but I started with the Suite version.

There are 2 things to consider in color management. The first is monitor calibration, but at least as important is having a printer (Icc) profile. An Icc profile is a color space set up for your specific printer, paper and ink. The Icc profile tells Photoshop which colors to use, and a calibrated monitor ensures you see those colors correctly.

Now, if you use a service to make prints, you can probably download Icc profiles for their equipment. If you use your own printer, you'll likely have to create your own profile. Spyder2Suite comes bundled with software (PrintFixPro) that allows you to do just that. Express does not.

So if you use a service to print, and can download an Icc profile, I say that Spyder2Express is fine. Otherwise, I'd reccomend Spyder2Suite.

Hope this helps.

- Joe U.

For anything worth while (stuff other that my wife wants to hang it on the fridge) I use a service of some sort. I could probably get their Icc. I habe a Canon i860 for home printing for scrap book stuff the wife likes and we don't want to pay for.

Thanks.....

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I use the Eye-One Display 2.
    But I talked to them on the stand about the Pantone huey, and they said that it's pretty much the same, but it uses less points in the calibration curve so it gives a less exact result.
    That could be just software but I'm guessing that the hardware is different too, perhaps less resolution (less bits per colour) than the more expensive calibrators.

FWIW from what I can see my monitor calibration is almost zero, the curves are almost straight lines and before and after images are only subtly different as I flick between the calibrated/uncalibrated display.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks to both of you...

I have some good "food for thought"......

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Thread Information