Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Monitor Calibration

I did a little searching on here and found some people who seem to like the SpyderSuite for calibrating their monitor. I'm just wondering what this calibrates to? This is the industry standard so prints at proex and otheres will match?

Is there something I can calibrate to my printer? What about both, so I can switch back and fourth? I guess I would want it calibrated to the industry standard first, but if I could get it calibrated to my printer, that would be cool too.

Thanks!

Re: Monitor Calibration

Getting it calibrated to your printer is really what it's all about. But, it's a two-step process. Printers have something called an ICC color profile that is used for calibration. Really, it's nothing more than a specific CYMK profile. It's specific to the printer, paper, and ink you're using. Change any one of the three, and the profile is wrong.

So let's take proex as an example. Somewhere on the site, I'm sure, there is a way to download their printer's ICC profiles. The site I use has separate profiles for their glossy and lustre papers. So you download the profile(s). Next, you have to install them in whatever software you're using. For photoshop, the process goes like this:

In Windows, right-click a profile and select Install Profile. Alternatively, copy the profiles into the WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color folder (Windows XP) or the WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\color folder (Windows 2000).
    In Mac OS, copy profiles into the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended folder. You can also copy profiles into the /Users/username/Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder.

After installing color profiles, be sure to restart whatever editing software you're using.

Every color in your photo can be define using a series of numbers. In RGB, you see the number as something like R:127, G:12, B:127. This is simply a series of numbers that different devices will display differently. But, once you assign a color profile to the document, then those three numbers define a specific color. The trick is to get Photoshop (in my case) to define the color the same way my printer does. THAT'S what the icc profile does. Once it's installed on the software, I can simply go to Edit> Convert to Profile, and select my printer's profile from the list. Bingo! Now Photoshop is using my printer's colors.

But how do I know that my monitor is displaying those colors as correctly as possible? By profiling the monitor, that's how. There will be minor variations, as the monitor can only use RGB colors (illuminated light), and the printers deals with CYMK colors (reflected light), but at this point the differences are minute, and the eye learns to compensate for them. It's as close to spot-on printer colors as you can get. So if you decide to use another printer, you don't change the monitor's profile, you change the profile in the document.

Now, using your home printer complicates things further. You will likely not be able to download, or even buy, a profile that uses your exact combination of ink and paper with your printer. This means you get to CREATE an icc color profile. The Spyder line includes software to help you do this using the same colorimeter you use for the monitor. But to be honest, I personally have never had good luck doing this, so I'll let someone who's better at it jump in with that explanation.

Does that answer some of your questions? If you have more, I answer them if I can.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Ok this is a little technical so I'm trying to find my way through it. So your saying, with this method, you don't need to buy any sort of software/hardware like SpyderSuite? Or are you saying that I need to use that in order to "Profile my monitor." I'm not sure you explained how to profile the monitor.

I've ordered prints through Fedex Kinkos in the past and so I emailed them to try and get their ICC Profile.

I have Photoshop 7, so you saying that I should be able to install this ICC profile in photoshop right? You said right click a profile, where are the profiles?

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I can relate. This is really confusing at first. So, one thing at a time:

Quote Originally Posted by Griggs
    So your saying, with this method, you don't need to buy any sort of software/hardware like SpyderSuite? Or are you saying that I need to use that in order to "Profile my monitor." I'm not sure you explained how to profile the monitor.
    I'm saying that the SpyderSuite (or something like it) is absolutely essential to both steps in this process. When you purchase it, SpyderSuite will contain two importaant elements: A colorimeter, which is an optical device that plugs into one of your USB ports, and the application software. Calibrating your monitor is as simple as installing the software, launching the application, and following the directions. It goes something like this:

First it asks you a little about which adjustments you have available on your computer, as far as Brightness, Contrast, Color controls, etc. Then it will typically ask you to set all of these to their factory defaults, and keep them there (Once your monitor is profiled, changing any of these adjustments throws the profile off. ) Then it will ask you to connect the colorimeter, and position it so the the cord comes up over the top of the onitor and allows the optical portion to hang in a specific position on the screen (the software will show you where exactly to place it). The application then displays a series of red, green, blue, and grey variations for the device to read and record (about 16 shades of each color)

The theory is that the software knows exactly how those colors SHOULD look, and the device reads the ACTUAL colors as the monitor displays them. The application then makes the necessary adjustments, asks you for a name for the profile, and sets your computer preferences up to use that profile on startup. Spyder also shows you a 'before and after' view so you can see the difference.

The SpyderSuite package also contains software for profiling your printer. In this case you use the colorimeter to read the colors directly off a printed test pattern. That way it gets an idea of how the printer, paper, and ink interact.

I've ordered prints through Fedex Kinkos in the past and so I emailed them to try and get their ICC Profile.
    I'm rather surprised that they don't have the files available for download from the website, but no matter, I'm sure they'll send them to you.

I have Photoshop 7, so you saying that I should be able to install this ICC profile in photoshop right? You said right click a profile, where are the profiles?
    Wether you download your ICC profile or create it, you'll eventually end up with a file on your desktop with an extension of '.icc'. (at least that's the extension on a Mac. Windows may be different). THAT'S the profile you want to right-click on to install. For me, it was as simple as searching my Mac for the folders that contained the .icc extension, and moving the file into that folder. But remember, you have to restart Photoshop after installing the file. This is because Photoshop loads all icc profiles on startup and initialization.

In the end, it's converting a photo to your icc profile that defines the specific colors for Photoshop, and gives directions on how to display them. And because you've profiled your monitor, you know that it's displaying those colors correctly.

Hope this helps,

- Joe U.

Thanks! Looks like I have some things to do, I'll let you know when I get it all set up correctly, thanks again

I'm looking at the Spyder offerings, this is a hobby for me and would like to keep the price down. Would I be able to to get away with Spyder2 Express and combining that with the profiles from kinkos?
    Last edited by Griggs; 08-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.

So long as you understand that:

1) You will only be able to profile one monitor;

2) You will not be able to create printer profiles;

and

3) That there is no ambient light adjustments (it's not on the Spyder2Suite either)

You should be fine.

- Joe U.

ColorVision does a horrible job on their website explaining the exact differences in what the different products do. Whats the first product in their line to do printer profiles? It would be nice to do that since I have a photo printer, but not for double the price...

That would be the Spyder2Suite. It's the "PrintFix Pro" software that gives you that ability. That software is included with the Suite and Pro, but not with Express.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. As I said earlier, I've never had good luck with it. The one monitor thing is easy enough to deal with ( you have to go to Pro to get multiple monitor capabilities), and the ambient light adjustment isn't an issue so long as you do you adjustments in the same lighting conditions as you did the calibration.

I eventually upgraded to Pro, but only because I bought a laptop to use with my photography. Hauling it around and into the field made the ambient light thing necessary, and the multi- monitor thing was a bonus, as I still have my other computer.

As far as printing goes, I don't feel qualified to make a recommendation: my situation is kind of unique. I get my prints from the photo dept at the Costco I work at. I was able to download their printer profiles from Costco.com, and since I'm there 5 days a week anyway, it's just as convenient as doing my prints at home. It might be cheaper to do my own prints (not sure though), but I don't have to deal with replacing or refilling cartridges. I'm not trying to sell you on the process, just letting you know the solution that worked for me.

If I was to do it over, I'd probably go with the Express.

- Joe U.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I ordered Spyder2 Express and I think I'm on my way to being more confident that the color managing that I do is worth the time because I'll have a calibrated monitor.

Ok, I've installed and calibrated my monitor using Spyder2Express. I haven't downloaded the ICC Profile from my prints services yet, but thats next.

I'm wondering if when I view my photos in PS should the working space always be set to RGB - Spyder2Express? I ask this because I manage my files in LR2 and I don't think I can set the working space to that, it just does the RGB, then when I external edit my LR photos in PS it asks me if I want to use the embedded profile (RGB) my current profile (RGB - Spyder2Express or Disregard color management.

Thanks!

Ok, now I'm confused, LOL.

I'm assuming that when Spyder asked you to name your monitor profile, you named it 'RGB - Spyder2Express'?

If yes, then that should be about all you have to do with it. The monitor has been profiled to make sure that it's displaying the colors correctly. When you open PS, it will automatically use the monitor profile to display the images. I assume this is true with LR2 also (I use a Mac, and Apeture2 in place of LR2).

So now, the next question is what color space your camera uses. If you have a DSLR, then you probably have two choices- Adobe RGB, and sRGB. Most cameras use Adobe RGB by default. Adobe RGB is best suited for images destined for print, while sRGB is the colorspace used by the web.

Whatever colorspace you shoot in most is the colorspace that PS should be set to by default. You can do this by going to Edit> Color Settings (on a Mac, it could be different for Windows) and changing the 'working RGB' setting. This ensures that the colors aren't changed in taking them from the camera into PS.

For myself personally, I always shoot in Adobe RGB and do my conversions in PS. That means that my working RGB setting is Adobe RGB (1998). Once in PS, I can change it to sRGB for web images, or my printer's icc profile for prints.

Either way, PS is still using my monitor profile to display the images, so I know that whatever colors I'm using, the monitor is displaying them correctly.

Does that answer your question?

- Joe U.

Yep, ok so I don't really need to worry about that. I thought maybe I had to make sure PS was using the correct profile. But I guess there is a difference between working space and profile. Next up, ICC Profiles...

I can already my next question, which is, how do I ensure I'm using the right ICC profile in PS?

Apparently the Fedex Kinkos Supervisor says there is no ICC profile to download, so I guess I need to find another print service...

Ok I went to Mpix.com and was able to get their ICC Proflies emailed to me. I went through the instructions and loaded my picture into PS with the profile... and it looked the same. Ok well I hope thats how the print turns out. I'm gonna order one as a test and see. Thanks again for the help

No problem. It's amazing how little you actually have to do once you get everything set up right. To answer the question about ICC profile, it's simply Edit> Convert to Profile. If you've installed the profile correctly, it will be on the list.

And yeah, my colors don't usually change much when I convert them either. Profiling the monitor gets them very close. Converting to the ICC profile makes subtle changes that are hard to notice, and takes them from 'very close' to 'spot on'.

For those places that can't provide an ICC profile, I still Convert to Profile, and use 'U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2'. It's a "standard" CYMK profile. It won't give you spot-on color, because it's not specific to any ink, paper, or printer. But it will get you that much closer. I use that as my 'working CYMK' under the color settings. Then, I can just go to Image> Mode> CYMK to get it. I could set my printer's profile as the working CYMK and do the same thing, but the glossies and matte prints have different profiles. I'm always switching back and forth.

One last piece of advice: You've gone through all this to get the colors right in Photoshop, so make sure you Let Photoshop Determine Colors when printing out of the application.

Congratulations on nailing your color management!

- Joe U.

Here are three sites for monitor calibration, and the third site may be of special interest to Firefox users and another Spider 2 Pro link.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a...pyder2pro.html

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9311-9478

Warren.

Thread Information