Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Looking For A Photo Printer

Hello,
    I am looking for a photo printer. I would like to keep it around $200 but I am willing to go up to $300. The max print size would be 8x10 and the most run will be 4x6.
    I have heard that Canon and Epson are at the top for this. I just don't know about any of the new models.

Thanks in advance,
    James

Re: Looking For A Photo Printer

I think the biggest consideration between these two printers is the difference in native resolution. All printers have a "native" resolution. The best quality prints are obtained by sending images to the printer at the printer's native resolution. The native resolution of Canon printers is right around 300 dpi, while Epson's is closer to 360 dpi.

Epson boasts a better picture quality because of he higher resolution, but I personally don't think the human eye can differentiate between 300 dpi and 360 dpi. Where the resolution does make a difference however, is in the image size. An 8x10 print on the Epson (at "best" quality) would require an image that is 2880 pixels by 3600 pixels (which equates roughly to 10.3MP), whereas the Canon print would only require 2400x3000 pixels (roughly 7.2MP).

Keep in mind that this is for optimal quality prints. I know a lot of folks who print on an Epson at 240 dpi, claiming they can't tell the difference between 240 dpi and 300 dpi. If you ask me, a trained eye can tell the difference, but the average person cannot. I can tell you for certain that a 240 dpi print looks better on an Epson than it does on a Canon. At 240 dpi, an 8x10 print would require a mere 4.6 MP image, well within the range of most cameras on today's market.

So, my advice is to print an 8x10 on a Canon at 300 dpi, and two 8x10s on an Epson, one at 240 dpi and one at 360 dpi, and compare them for yourself. Your findings will go a long way towards influencing which printer is right for you.

Also, be sure to price the ink cartridges for any printer before buying. Ink will be your largest cost after buying, so it's important to check.

Hope this helps some.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Medley,

Gave you some good advise.

I have used HP, Canon, and Epson and the only one I would not buy again is the HP. Always had to play around with the colour management to get a decent print.

The Epson that I used to use which is now gathering dust mainly cause its old was excellent.

However, I am currently using a Canon IP6700D which gives outstanding A4 and 6x4 pics so 10x8's are no problem. The reason for going Canon after a lot of research is that the inks for the Canon are cheaper than the Epson at the time I purchased the printer and since the cost of the ink for the life of the printer will be 3+ times the cost of the machine it is something you definitely need to consider.

One other piece of advice - make sure you have separate ink cartridges and if you plan on using B&W then you need to look at the black inks and how the printers use these.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thanks for the help Joe and Roger. I will take a closer look at Canon and Epson a little more including the price of ink.

James

btw, any insight in either one for an all in one machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV
    Thanks for the help Joe and Roger. I will take a closer look at Canon and Epson a little more including the price of ink.

James

btw, any insight in either one for an all in one machine.
    I recently bought an Epson all in one for my daughter (she's in Uni) but it doesn't compare to the Canon which is a photo printer.

You can research that one and report your findings .

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

banished

I also got a Canon MF5770 All-In-One Printer on this black friday sale for my brother. You can look up
    http://www.**********.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=69781
    This network-ready workhorse prints, copies, faxes, scans and makes a great team player.
    My brother has some good experience on it, and it has worked flawlessly, It does exactly what it says it does. And it also has some great reviews
    http://www.retrevo.com/s/Canon+MF5770?rt=oa

Thread Information