Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Thread: JPEG to RAW???

JPEG to RAW???

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to convert a JPEG to a RAW file so that I can adjust it with adobe raw? I already tried converting it to PSRAW and that just opened it up in photoshop. The reason I am wanting to do this is someone is iterested in one of my images and I need to adjust the WB.

I know there are other ways to get around this, but I am looking for the easy way out...:blush2:
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: JPEG to RAW???

Using Paint Shop Pro X, you can convert JPEG to RAW, as well as 8 bit JPEG to 16 bit JPEG. I have not had the need to experiment with that particular feature yet, except beyond making the conversion to test it out.

Ronnoco

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to convert a JPEG to a RAW file so that I can adjust it with adobe raw? I already tried converting it to PSRAW and that just opened it up in photoshop. The reason I am wanting to do this is someone is iterested in one of my images and I need to adjust the WB.

I know there are other ways to get around this, but I am looking for the easy way out...:blush2:
    Unfortunately, this won't buy you anything. RAW is basically the unprocessed version of the file. Once converted to JPEG or some other format, you can't go back again: its a one way trip. You will have to do a color balance or, if allowed, a WB adjustment on the jpeg. Not as good but its something.

If you are worried about JPEG compression, change your jpeg to a TIFF (easy to do in PS or other program) and work on that.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

You are gonna laugh at this, but I tried the one thing I never ever try to get the color right. I did auto color in PS and it came out perfect. I can't believe it even occured to me. I was really hoping I could get it into a RAW state so I could play with it in a coveter, but in all honesty I really knew I couldn't. I was just hoping against hope that somebody had a trick for it.

At any rate I had it printed on Saturday and I delivered it today, and the client loved it!

So it all worked out nicely anyway.

Thanks guys!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information