Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Image Management

Curious as to how everyone is managing their images... from the initial download, through the selection process, PP, storage and archival, etc. What's your "system"?

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Re: Image Management

At the moment I am using ZoomBrowser with keywords and star ratings, using folders in year, month, date, and project folders where necessary, all are then stored on DVD, HDD, USB Disk...

I am currently looking at lightroom as the future tool. Can't decide at the moment.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    I am currently looking at lightroom as the future tool. Can't decide at the moment.
    Same here, that's what prompted my initial question.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

I'm still using Adobe Bridge for three main reasons:

1) I have Adobe's creative Suite, and Bridge is an well-oiled link in that process

2) Getting Lightroom would require upgrading my OS, and if I do that, I'll likely just get the Intel Mac. Other priorities have prevented that so far.

3) I have several scripts written specifically for opening Bridge files in Photoshop that are terribly handy and that I would hate to give up.

-Joe U.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Lets see here if I can remember my process. I've done it so many times I don't even think about it.

Short version is:
    CF Card -> Laptop -> Viewed through ACDSee Pro -> Batched by Nikon Capture -> Edited in PS CS2 -> Archived in 2 hard drives

Long Version:

1. While sitting in the car at stoplights on the way home (or if someone else is driving) I'll usually go through my cards in camera & delete any obvious OOF shots

2. Download cards to the laptop or desktop using ACDSee Pro (both are setup the exact same way so the workflow is the same) For this I'll use my laptop. Cards are downloaded to a "Photos to Process" folder, then in folders by date like so: c:\Photos to Process/4.21.2007. The photos will stay there until I get a chance to work on them, so I know what's pending still.

3. Go through each folder, and delete the bad ones. After I'm done deleting, I rename the images by date such as 2007-04-21-###. This way its easier for me (and my wife) to find them.

4. If they can be batch processed, I COPY them to a different folder, start Nikon Capture, have it run the selected adjustments to the RAW photos and save them as jpegs into a "Processed" folder.

5, Go through images processed through Nikon Capture, pull them into PS, Crop, and do whatever else is needed to get the image I want.

6. Copy original RAW files & any PSD's that were created to a second internal harddrive, as well as an external firewire drive for storage. I'll soon be getting a second drive so I'll have another big backup. I also will copy some photos I know I really don't want to lose to my website for storage.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Lightroom is now my RAW to JPEG conversion tool of choice.

Then for sheer speed of viewing, ThumbsPlus to look at all my 1.5TB of images, even thumbnails of drives that aren't conneted to the PC.

I haven't loaded all the images into Lightroom yet, because I'm waiting for the 2TB NAS to arrive ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Curious as to how everyone is managing their images... from the initial download, through the selection process, PP, storage and archival, etc. What's your "system"?
    I use the workflow process and RAW conversions provided by Picture Window Pro 4.x. All editing is done there as well. RAW files are saved separately during the workflow as converted 48-bit TIFF files.

The image browsing and slide show creation is handled by Breeze Browser Pro. The main photo libraries are on a harddrive attached to the desktop. There are two backups, one on each USB external drive. Not that I'm paranoid or anything...
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

You're asking for digital workflow management, not image management. Image management is the method/process of how you store your images, back them up, and find the one you're looking for.

Ok...so maybe you're asking for some image management, but most of your question pertains to digital workflow.

In terms of managing my images, I'm a fan of the client/server architecture. I like having a separate computer to store all my images on with multiple hard drives in a RAID. I also like to have images sorted by subject then event date.

I am considering a look at Thumbs Plus Home Network Version, but that will have to wait until I get my Windows Server Longhorn beta (or Server 2003) box up and running.

My workflow was pretty simple. I would start in Lightroom or Bridge, depending on what type of file I was working with, and I would do my edits in Photoshop. Afterwards, I would rename the file and saved to a processed image drive.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

You're asking for digital workflow management, not image management. Image management is the method/process of how you store your images, back them up, and find the one you're looking for.

Ok...so maybe you're asking for some image management, but most of your question pertains to digital workflow.

In terms of managing my images, I'm a fan of the client/server architecture. I like having a separate computer to store all my images on with multiple hard drives in a RAID. I also like to have images sorted by subject then event date.

I am considering a look at Thumbs Plus Home Network Version, but that will have to wait until I get my Windows Server Longhorn beta (or Server 2003) box up and running.

My workflow was pretty simple. I would start in Lightroom or Bridge, depending on what type of file I was working with, and I would do my edits in Photoshop. Afterwards, I would rename the file and saved to a processed image drive.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I have just installed a two terabyte RAID system (that's shedload of images) the ReadyNAS NV+
    Saw them at PMA and decided it was just what I needed.
    "Does what it says on the tin"

Plug in, switch on, and it worked out of the box.
    - there goes my 2006 bonus !
    Configured two new shares: Pictures and Paul.
    That's it.

I may use PC drives for speed, as even with a gigabit network Windows is so appallingly slow that it is only using 8% of the network bandwidth.

But it's safer than using a USB drive, Just A Bunch Of Disks (JBOD) is exactly that, a pile of 200-300GB USB drives on a table next to my PC.
    While those are technically backups, and I have another backup on my CDs and DVDa burned on the laptop while in the field, I feel happier having it on a RAID.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat

I haven't loaded all the images into Lightroom yet, because I'm waiting for the 2TB NAS to arrive ...
    Hi SW,

What NAS device are you getting? We can compare notes!

thanks,
    Wes
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

Should have read a little more!

i have the same system - did you go with 500G HD's? I have it set to back up my "working" files every night and it really is great. My old external drives were starting to make funny noises and I was getting nervous. It is a great way to get a RAID system.

Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Like jorge I try to cut down on the obvious throw aways on-site or on the way home before the image gets out of the camera.

If I shoot raw then I copy the images to file folder for this year/topic under a raw folder.

Then I open up Nikon Capture and run a batch to save them all as Jpegs.

Once I have them as Jpegs I use Bridge to view and apply any basic actions in a batch - auto contrast, levels, unsharp mask, etc.

Then I use the image processor to resize the image for the web

Copy them to the site and bob's your uncle - the customer is viewing a slideshow of the proofs.

When they order I go back to the Raw file in Capture and refine it.

This way I only have to do substantial work on the images the customer buys.

I should get in the habit of renaming the files though

I am also in the process of trying to work Lightroom into the work flow but that is taking some time.

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Thread Information