Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

I got a Pro 9000!!

Thanks to the rebate buyer/resellers, picked one up for $225.

I'm really curious about its matte and rag ability, and I'm also curious about third party inks and if any match up with the canon's chromalife quality and display life. If anybody here has any experience with these I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Oh yeah, mark 2 of course.

Re: I got a Pro 9000!!

Me too going to pick one up tonight from craigslist!
    Jimmy B

Niiice, thats how I got mine as well.

Found Canon Semi-Gloss 13x19 on amazon.com (excellent with pro9000!), from various vendors for about $27+shipping for a pack of 20. I can't find much around here, except canon matte ($20 pack of 20) and ilford classic pearl ($50 pack of 20). Ilfords smooth pearl I have used a ton and know what to expect with results for chromalife inks - and the results are great. The classic pearl looks very similar, but I haven't yet tried it on canon chromalife. Don't want to buy some and find out its terrible for chromalife.

I built a bunch of Custom ICC's with the eye one system for this printer. If you want my Moab Entrada rag bright (works on 190 and 300 gsm) profile shoot me a pm. I would be happy to share it. I swear by this paper for all my work and the custom profile blows the canned one out of the water..

Red River Paper, I use it with my Pro 9000 and love it,
    have had it since about Aug of last year. waited about 1 year to buy it kept reading reviews and all.. also googled forums for what was best paper to use with it besides
    Canon Paper
    http://www.redriverpaper.com/
    they have all of the ICC profiles for the printer on their site

Quote Originally Posted by John P Atl
    Red River Paper, I use it with my Pro 9000 and love it,
    have had it since about Aug of last year. waited about 1 year to buy it kept reading reviews and all.. also googled forums for what was best paper to use with it besides
    Canon Paper
    http://www.redriverpaper.com/
    they have all of the ICC profiles for the printer on their site

All companies have canned ICC's on their site.....and they're complete garbage when compared to a custom built one. I also have a ton of custom ICC's for red rivers paper as well. You really cant go wrong with that company...though I'm not a fan of their water color papers.

I've been figuring out how to work with canons basic matte, its inexpensive and locally available, $20 for 20 sheets. Getting good dark colors and textures on it is a bit difficult but possible, its extreme brightness makes it work really well with high key images and bright colors, renders whites very well, big difference in image quality - improved by setting the rendering intent to saturation. Probably not quite as good as some of the finer rags, but at less than half the price, a good paper to use sometimes.

Is moab a more porous or smooth surface? Somewhere in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    I've been figuring out how to work with canons basic matte, its inexpensive and locally available, $20 for 20 sheets. Getting good dark colors and textures on it is a bit difficult but possible, its extreme brightness makes it work really well with high key images and bright colors, renders whites very well, big difference in image quality - improved by setting the rendering intent to saturation. Probably not quite as good as some of the finer rags, but at less than half the price, a good paper to use sometimes.

Is moab a more porous or smooth surface? Somewhere in between?
    I only ever use perceptual and relative rendering intents (mostly relative with black point on)

If your talking about the entrada rag its a more porous surface. All these companies sell sample boxes too. Grab one and see what you like.

I've been surprised at the accuracy of hues in the rendering intent of saturation on canon's matte. But, that is a pretty unique, and very bright matte at 108 ISO.

I'm finding out right now, black and white takes a much longer time to print on this thing.

oh man, it is so much slower..... Changing the print quality from "high" to "standard" has little impact on the speed as well.

No less, its producing a good neutral BW.

VSS

My only disappointemt with my 9000 MkII is the lack of ability to do panoramic prints on longer paper. Even the latest Pro1 does not seem to cater for that.

Thread Information