Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

I am confused about print quality, which is the better printer?

Which printer would produce better prints? A printer that prins 5760 x 1440dpi or a printer that prints 4800 x 2400 dpi"

I apologize for such a newbe question, but shopping for printers is confusing with all the dpi stuff. I also realize that I should not judge a printer solely on dpi, but I found two printers that I am interested in, one is advertised as being able to print 5760 x 1440 dpi and the other at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Just looking at the dpi of these two, which printer should produce a sharper & more detailed image?
    Last edited by BKSinAZ; 07-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Re: I am confused about print quality, which is the better printer?

Which model are the two printers?
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

One is an Epson R1400 or R800 both at 5760 x 1440 and One is the Canon Pro9000 at 4800 x 2400. Both are low end Bestbuy printers.

Canon Pro 9000 better by far and cheaper to run.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Quote Originally Posted by DEvianT
    Canon Pro 9000 better by far and cheaper to run.
    Yes, I also came to that conclusion, Glad to know I am on the right track.
    But that still does not answer my question about the dpi that the two printers can output.

Let me ask the question in a different way please.

Just pretend that Bestbuy or Circuit City is selling only two Canon printers. One is model # ABC and the other Canon printer is model # XYZ. Model # ABC has a dpi output of 5760 x 1440 and model # XYZ can output at 4800 x 2400 dpi. Which model "should" output sharper & more detailed prints? I would think the printer that outputs 4800 x 2400, which leads me to my existing confusion because the cheaper printers are outputting 4800 X 2400.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Ultimately, better is a subjective term. What do you plan on printing? What does your budget look like?

You will find many people around here who are very happy with their Epson printers because of print quality.

As for the DPI question, that is a hard one to answer. The best way to get a comparison is to get sample prints from each printer and look at them. Not the canned stuff that the stores use for demoes, but real prints taken from your camera. Print off a couple of images on each printer, and compare them side by side. Then decide which has better resolution.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

As for the DPI question, that is a hard one to answer. The best way to get a comparison is to get sample prints from each printer and look at them. Not the canned stuff that the stores use for demoes, but real prints taken from your camera. Print off a couple of images on each printer, and compare them side by side. Then decide which has better resolution.
    As your pics from the camera are at 300dpi usually its the printer itself that extrapolates and prints at higher resolution. Then they soak into print media and alter at that point. So in reality it's hard to say which one will look best.

So you realy need to consider the gamut of colour the printer can reproduce, the longevity of the print, the darkness of the blacks (D-MAX) and the metamerism. That and if you feel the prints look good of course.

I've tried the Canon 9000 Pro and it is superb. Best I've seen at A3+ size is the HP 9180 pigment ink printer which is around the same price point.
    DEviaNT Photographer

~ Joel Meyerowitz

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    Ultimately, better is a subjective term. What do you plan on printing? What does your budget look like?

You will find many people around here who are very happy with their Epson printers because of print quality.

I noticed in your sig that have an Epson R1800. I have one also, and use it for portrait printing. How do you like yours?

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

So far, I love it. Its produced some great prints that will adorn my walls once I finish painting.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thread Information