Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Higher resolution needed - Help!!!

Could someone please give me advice on seeing if i can get a higher resolution on some pictures a magazine has asked for, i sent them email samples and they have asked if its possible for pics to be higher and to send them either 1 or 2mb. The resolution that my pictures are set at in photoshop CS2 is 72, i thought that this would be adequate enough. Help on this would be greatly appreciated.::
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Higher resolution needed - Help!!!

Are your files opening up @ 72 dpi, or are you saving them as 72 dpi using the Save for Web option? If you're using the Save for Web option, the resolution won't be enough for print. I've sent out a couple images to get printed, and both times I've sent them the files at 300 dpi. To save them at that size, goto Image -> Image Size, and in the second to last box, make sure it says 300 dpi (or whatever size you need to send them.) Then, once that is set, then just goto File -> Save As, and save it in whatever format they want.

Hope I'm on the right track and didn't confuse you more
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thank you very much for your help its made things alot clearer, you asked if i am saving my images at 72, well all i can say is i am opening the image size box in CS2 and it already has 72 in the dpi box, and when an image is say, 3504X2336 size and you want to get it down to 2mb i have put 2000 in, but the pixel size that shows at the top of the box (in brackets)isnt the same when the picture is re sized and i check it on screen, sorry to be a pain! but have you any further advise re this problem? regards.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Image size and resolution are two totally different things. I think this discussion was just had very recently. 72-96 dpi is for viewing on monitors (web images). 150-300 dpi is for printing.

If you look at the print size of an image straight from your camera at 72 dpi you will see that it is huge (40x20 in my case). When you change the dpi to 300 the print size reduces (6.6x10 in my case).

I think what the magazine wants is the full size image, dont resize it and don't save as web either. Just send them the full image as a jpg. They wont care what resolution it is at since they can change it to what ever they need for magazine printing which I assume is less than 300. So leave it at 72 and send them the image file. The file size jpg at max quality (12) should be over 3MB.

Quick edit here: If you want to reduce the file storage size in MegaBytes without changing the image pixel size in anyway, you would adjust the quality of the jpg when saving it until it's around 2MB. For magazine quality a reduced quality jpg would be fine to.

Hope this helps,

Tim
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Cyberlord nailed it. Send them the original file, straight out of the camera. If you did any editing, resave as a JPG (don't overwrite the original, obviously) and go with 9-12 in the quality range.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Tim, Seb thanks for your help iv learnt alot through this thread, iv taken everything you have said and now its time to put it all to practice! thanks again. Bev.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Thread Information