Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

High quality CRT

Anyone know where to buy high quality CRT monitors(or could recommend a good monitor)? I would like to buy from a reputable source, as I am looking for image quality/accuracy above all else. I was hoping a place like B&H (only a few CRTs) or Adorama (no CRTs) would have something, that is a place that deals in photo gear and PC components and would consequently know the computer needs of a photographer.

Much of the "enthusiast" PC market these days is geared towards gamers, who unfortunately have very different requirements from us photo nerds, especially when it comes to graphics. A monitor with a high refresh rate, but lousy image quality may work great for playing games, but is pretty much useless for photo editing.

I would like to go with CRT as opposed to LCD for the $$ vs. performance aspect.

I've looked on e-bay, but think I may be better off buying it new from a known retailer.

Thanks!!
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Re: High quality CRT

You spend your entire bank account on a high quality CRT, but unless you calibrate it properly to reflect the colors you'll see, it's tossing good money after ... well, good money. Also, your monitor shows colors in RGB mode, whereas your printer prints with CMYK. So while the colors are the same, they use different technologies to produce the color. You can get close, but not exact.

Secondly, different paper will affect inks differently. In fact, professionals call paper “the fifth color.” So, you need a medium profile for each paper so the printer can compensate for the color shade of the paper. Printers do this when you pick the exact paper in the print setup. And using original inks and paper by the manufacturer will assure accurate profiling and thereby, more accurate and optimal colors. There can be third parties that also provide proper profiles, but you have to look for them.

So, in the end, getting a new monitor may not be your issue.

I don't think there's any reason to buy a new CRT. As long as you've got good calibration hardware and software, new isn't really an issue. I would use Craig's List to shop locally. That's how I bought my last monitor. I paid $85 for a monitor that cost over $1000 when new, I believe. And the Colorvision Spyder 2 has ensured that even though it's not new, the color is accurate and predictable.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I also prefer the cost vs accuracy benefits that the CRT has over the LCD still at this stage of the game, and so I recently purchased another new CRT. It is an NEC 21 " unit that I bought from NewEgg.com. I paid roughly 300.00 and I'm quite happy with it.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

It's not a matter of currently having color issues, I'm building myself a new desktop (have been using a laptop) and need a monitor. I figure why not buy something worthwhile. I do calibrate, also using Spyder 2.

How good are "mainstream" CRTs from a few years back (6 or 7 years ago)? I have access to a few that never really received much use. I can't seem to find the specs on them anywhere though, I suppose I could power them up, calibrate them and see how they look.

Personally, I'm skipping the CRT's and going for one of these when they become available. That being said, you just want a flat-screen CRT. If you're going to buy a CRT try to get one of the professional level ones since there is where you're going to see the real colour rendition benefit. And please don't set your CRT to 60hz unless you want a headache.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    Personally, I'm skipping the CRT's and going for one of these when they become available. That being said, you just want a flat-screen CRT. If you're going to buy a CRT try to get one of the professional level ones since there is where you're going to see the real colour rendition benefit. And please don't set your CRT to 60hz unless you want a headache.
    Now that is a monitor I'd like to own!, but something about spending more money on just a monitor than on my camera+lenses+computer seems a bit skewed. Then again that thing is more affordable than other comparable monitors.

Honestly I've never been bothered by the 60Hz headaches from monitors, now fluorescent lighting thats a different story. I'm not sure if they are on a different frequency (although wall AC is 60Hz in the US) or what, but they bother me a bit.

Thread Information