Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar

Unhappy HELP!Photoshop CS won't open my NEF files. . .

and it's making me crazy! So, this is the first place I go. . .it says that NEF isn't the right type of file. I tried changing the file extension to .raw but when I go to open it, PS asks me the size (in pixels) of the photo. What do I do? I finally got PS, and now I can't work with my RAW files!

Exasperated,
    Christopher

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Try this...

Christopher,

How are you trying to open your RAW files? Using "open" or "open as" in the FILE menu?

If so, try opening them through CS's FILE BROWSER instead. It's actually a better way to do it.

With CS open, click on the FILE BROWSER folder icon on the upper right side of the ps workspace (next to the brush and tool well). If your monitor screen resolution is below 1024x768, it may not appear on screen. In that case, click on WINDOW>FILE BROWSER.

In the left hand "explorer" panel, find and click on the drive or folder that contains your RAW files. Do the thumbs of your images load into the right panel of the FILE BROWSER?

If so, everything should be ok, and you should be able to double click on an individual image to bring up the RAW conversion plugin to open the shot.

If not, what happens?

Give that a try and get back if you're still having problems...

Quote Originally Posted by christopher_platt
    and it's making me crazy! So, this is the first place I go. . .it says that NEF isn't the right type of file. I tried changing the file extension to .raw but when I go to open it, PS asks me the size (in pixels) of the photo. What do I do? I finally got PS, and now I can't work with my RAW files!

Exasperated,
    Christopher
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Tried that. . .

and it didn't work. I tried with the browser first. It doesn't show the preview in the window or the thumbnail in the browser window. When I double click the icon (which shows up in place of the thumbnail) it says "could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document". Same when I try File>open. Now what?

Well, Adobe says on their site that NEF files ARE supported in PS CS, so it's got to be something...

From where are you trying to load your RAW files? Directly from the camera? From a card reader? Or have they been copied onto your HD and then you try to load them from a folder?

and it didn't work. I tried with the browser first. It doesn't show the preview in the window or the thumbnail in the browser window. When I double click the icon (which shows up in place of the thumbnail) it says "could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document". Same when I try File>open. Now what?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I'm wondering if when you copied the files from the card to your hard drive (I am just assuming that you did that), that you didn't copy the thumbnails over as well. I think I did that once with some raw images and had a similar problem. Just something that has stuck in my head from it happening, but it has been some time since that happened.

Also there is an update to the raw program available from Adobe in the program downloads area that might address this problem as well.

tried those too. . .

Well, I've downloaded the updater from adobe. . .didn't do it. I know the files are all there, because I transferred them with Nikon's PictureProject Transfer software, and they work fine in that program and in my trial version of Nikon Capture 4.1. When I looked at the Adobe website for the updater, though, I didn't see D70 listed as one of the supported cameras (when I was downloading the updater). So, to answer your question, Steve, I'm trying to load them from a folder on the HD. *sigh*.

Did I mention how cool all of you guys (and ladies) are for all your help?

Christopher

I understand your frustration...

As you point out, Adobe configures their CS RAW support to various camera models, not simply the file types. Unfortunately, there may be no immediate solution for you until they add your camera.

BTW, they didn't support the Canon 10D for the longest time, either. Luckily, it was added by the time the CS upgrade was released.

At this point, unless someone else here has had the same problem and figured out a workaround, the most logical solution would be to convert your RAW files to TIFF in your Nikon program, then open those in PS CS. You could then convert them to PSD if you really want to cut down on file the size and use the full capacity of PS.

Well, I've downloaded the updater from adobe. . .didn't do it. I know the files are all there, because I transferred them with Nikon's PictureProject Transfer software, and they work fine in that program and in my trial version of Nikon Capture 4.1. When I looked at the Adobe website for the updater, though, I didn't see D70 listed as one of the supported cameras (when I was downloading the updater). So, to answer your question, Steve, I'm trying to load them from a folder on the HD. *sigh*.

Did I mention how cool all of you guys (and ladies) are for all your help?

Christopher

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

I think the problem may relate to Nikon changing the way it handles NEF files. I read on another forum, Capture One forum, that there had been a change by Nikon and that is affecting the way the Capture One program is handling Nikon D70 NEF files as well. So maybe that is also causing similar issues with ACR in CS.

Talking Here's the real deal with the D70 NEFs and Photoshop CS

I didn't see it mentioned on here about the Camera RAW 2.2 plugin update being released a couple of days ago. I found out the real scoop on this deal-
    In order to open D70 generated NEF files (before the new plugin was released) you had to take Nikons NEF plugin that came with Nikon View and put it in the photoshop folder, which would give you only the ability to adjust the exposure and white balance (and white balance was only adjustable to the auto's from the camera - you could not fine tune it like you can with Adobe's Camera RAW plugin.)
    Now, everything is howdy-doody. I'm so happy to feel included in the PS world with my D70.

Chip

Thread Information