Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Firewire or USB 2.0?

So i'll give you my situation and let me know what you guys would do.

I currently have my images on an external 500GB RAID 1 set up, it has both USB 2.0 and 1394 connectivity. I am putting together a new photo editing machine and am trying to decide if I should bother to spend the extra $$ to get a mobo with 1394 (about $60-70 more) or if I should just hook the raid up via USB.

USB 2.0 transfers data at 480 Mbit/s, 1394 at 393Mbit/s, so USB 2.0 is faster in that sense. However from what I understand the 1394 interface has it's own chip, therefore not using CPU resources like USB does, or at least less resources.

I am wondering about real world performance, will it be worth the extra cash to go 1394?

Thanks!
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Re: Firewire or USB 2.0?

What I have seen USB 2.0 is always faster then Firewire. I have used both and now use only the USB.

I tested my external DVD-RW with both and the USB beat the firewire by alot.
    Burn a full dvd on firewire ws like 45 min to and hour, USB was taking 15 to 25 min.

This was using a 1394 card on a Intel 3.0 cpu and 2 gigs of ram.

Hope that helps

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

You probably had a setting wrong. There is a setting in Windows that can limit firewire speeds to s100 (100Mbits/sec) rather than its usual 400 or 800.

When set up properly, FireWire has a significantly higher sustained transfer speed than USB 2.0. USB 2.0's 480Mbits/sec transfer speed is a theoretical burst max, which is rarely achieved and sustained speeds are significantly lower. FireWire 400 set properly achieves a sustained throughput of just about 400Mbits/sec.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses 5 Bodies 3 Macs 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    You probably had a setting wrong. There is a setting in Windows that can limit firewire speeds to s100 (100Mbits/sec) rather than its usual 400 or 800.

When set up properly, FireWire has a significantly higher sustained transfer speed than USB 2.0. USB 2.0's 480Mbits/sec transfer speed is a theoretical burst max, which is rarely achieved and sustained speeds are significantly lower. FireWire 400 set properly achieves a sustained throughput of just about 400Mbits/sec.

Thats what I was thought too, otherwise the Ieee 1394 standard would be dead. USB 2 supports (and backwards supports) so many devices that if 1394 didn't have some advantage (speed) it would be useless.

I decided to go with the mobo that has 1394
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

I would go with Firewire, but USB 2.0 is commonly used for other applications as well. I know that a lot of industrial cameras use firewire because it requires the speed firewire offers. If you want to know more, you should visit newnex.com. I usually buy my cables from them because they can customize any cable the way I want it. They also offer a lot of information on Firewire as well as USB 2.0 if you're still deciding.

Thread Information