Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    shake it like a polaroid picture berrywise's Avatar

Do you use a callibration tool?

Or do you just use your eye and something like Adobe Gamma?

I was thinking about getting one of the Pantone Eye-Ones that B&H sells for 150 dollars and was wondering if anyone else uses something in that price range and whether or not they felt it was worth purchasing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lorimeter.html

Thanks!
    Feel free to make my photos look better than I can

Re: Do you use a callibration tool?

I can't speak about the Pantone as I have not used it. Here is the one I use and it has been very good for me.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_System.html

i'll second that for the Spyder2. I have used it without any problems. There are a few issues with documentation and multi-monitor support, but they're all fairly easy to figure out. I would recommend any version of the Spyder2 (as cheap as $70 for the express version).

Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display II is what I use. The difference between eyeballing it and using hardware will differ for everyone based on how far off the original display was. In my case, the difference was HUGE.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Spyder2 Pro.

- Joe U.

WCpilot mentioned problems with dual monitors. Anyone else using dual monitors? I figure to be doing most of my work on one of my monitors (I have two identical 22" dell widescreen lcds) but would like to have the ability to calibrate both.

I use the Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display II and would highly recommend it as it makes a huge difference over any eye balling type system.

For twin screen systems then the Graphics card and driver needs to be able to handle individual screen calibrations to make it work.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Please Post Reviews

I have been calibrating my monitors with both the ColorVision and x-rite hardware. It makes a huge difference in my opinion. Even if you already think things look good, it gives you the confidence that your photos are correct. So if someone says they don't look right, you know it's their system.

Can you guys all please post reviews for the profiling hardware and software you've used? We need more reviews for this stuff. And it will get you entered in this month's review contest. The prize is a Canon PowerShot A640.

Color Management Hardware Reviews >>
    Color Management Software Reviews >>

If you find anything that needs to be added to the reviews, let me know. I've been wondering about combining the Color Management reviews into one category. What do you guys think?

Thanks-
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

drg

Gretag Macbeth at home. Monaco Optix at work (big profile sets availble for printers, scanners and better Pantone support in the release I use ).

Huge difference as time goes by. Monitors do change, and not at the same or predictable rates!

I feel some type of regular calibration regardless of cost is very beneficial.

Just don't forget that what you print is not always what you want to show on the Web. sRGB for the Web and at least Adobe 1998 for printing.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

The multi-monitor issue I mentioned earlier is this: If you only have one graphics card running two monitors, windows will only load one of the monitor profiles when it boots. You have to manually load the other for the second monitor. If you have dual graphics cards with each card running a separate monitor, then there's no problem. This is what I've heard anyway, I only have one monitor. Also, I've heard that this isn't an issue with Macs, but again, no personal experience there.

I used the Adobe Gamma Wizard. Seems to work fine. It's better than using nothing at all until I can get the proper tool and a new monitor.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll spend the fifty dollars more and try the ColorVIsion. It has gotten a lot of positive reviews here and elsewhere.

I tried to use Adobe Gamma but with these new monitors I couldn't get positive results this time around.

I do have another nice PCI video card and might look into installing that so that I can calibrate both monitors.
    Last edited by berrywise; 06-23-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Another vote for the eye-one display here.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by WCpilot
    i'll second that for the Spyder2.
    I use Spyder2 as well. I like it on my LCD but I question it on my Sony CRT.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by berrywise
    I tried to use Adobe Gamma but with these new monitors I couldn't get positive results this time around.
    I've heard of people getting acceptable results from Adobe Gamma after running it 3 or 4 times in succession. Like you, they seem to have gotten bad results the first time, but improved results after running it a few more times.

Don't know why that would be, never tried it, and it makes me a little suspect, but I thought I'd pass it along.

- Joe U.

I went with the ColorVision Spyder2Pro. I also remember that I own a pretty nice PCI video card so I think I'm going to run my second monitor off that and my primary monitor off my AGP card. So hopefully I'll have two properly calibrated monitors shortly Fingers crossed anyway.

I use a nifty script and an xRite ColorChecker target to calibrate cameras. That said the built in profiles for Capture One are very good.

I use Spyder 2 Pro to calibrate monitors. If your graphics card has dual look up tables it can take 2 profiles. Most don't. Two cards is the safe option.

I use PrintFix Pro to calibrate printers.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Thread Information