Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Digital Images looking like film?

Does anyone know of any websites or books that would offer the "ingredients" to make your digital images look like certain film types? I'm working in CS2 and have only found software by AlienSkin that offers such a thing. There MUST be something cheaper out there. I'm not looking to imitate 200 different types of film, just some Fuji Provia, Velvia, and some Polaroid/ 70's anti-saturated looking feeling stuff. A few other types would be nice too but I don't want to buy AlienSkin just for a few things!

Also looking for good books/websites on retouching digital images for sharpness/color correcting so that I can feel more comfortable leaving color film in my past.

Thanks! -Justin

Re: Digital Images looking like film?

Apparently the new version: Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI has some of the features that imitate film types according to the advertising. Get a try-out version and check it out.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Apparently the new version: Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI has some of the features that imitate film types according to the advertising. Get a try-out version and check it out.

Ronnoco
    I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.

-Justin

This is a common request. Kodak actually offered film type profiles for their pro digital camera software, back when they were still making their own pro digital cameras. I think they were the first to try to replicate specific film looks for digital images.

Canon's digital SLRs now have built in "Picture Styles." My Rebel XTi offers Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, and Faithful. I haven't tried them. But they appear to be in-camera contrast, stauration, and color adjustments.

There are a bunch of people offering Photoshop actions for sale. I've seen one for Velvia that's very good. Off the top of my head I can't remember who made it.

Check out the new Phase One Capture One press release I posted today. The new version of Capture One has just what you're looking for. Capture One isn't cheap, but you know they always do it right.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Don't forget to add noise, to simulate grain. I'm not being flippant, it actually makes it look more authentic.

You might find the "Virtual Photographer" plug-in useful.

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp

you can search for Photoshop actions that can give this effect and many are free
    Lowolf

Post Re: Digital Images looking like film?

Alien Skin Exposure is for serious photographers who need film stock emulation. Alien Skin studied film grain and patterns from actual samples to produce these filters.

Thread Information