Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Desert Racing Action photo work - PS Saved it

I posted the fixed copy in the Critique section, and it was mentioned to drop the photos over here...

Here is the Original:

Modified:

I took the original in Photoshop modified the levels to get rid of the silty haze. After that, I manually corrected the colors until I was happy, modified the contrast and balance, and here it is.
    :: TiltedGlass ::
    Tilting the glass on perception...

So Cool

Thanks for posting this here. I do a lot of Photoshop work, and I have to say that I am really amazed by this one. I wouldn't think it possible to get the finished product from that original. The final image doesn't look anything like the original. And you say all you did was normal levels, color, and contrast adjustments? Amazing. Makes me want to look for a a really dusty mountain bike photo in my archives and see what I can do with it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Desert Racing Action photo work - PS Saved it

Yeah, I just used the levels/histogram window, then messed with the color and contrast.

No masking, recoloring or anything like that.

I was very pleased and shocked by the end result, I was glad I figured that out, and remembered I had shot that photo!

The low contrast original is generally the result of going from a small color space (sRGB) into a larger color space. If you set Photoshop to use the same color space as your digital camera or scanner, the originals will look much better without correction.

Quote Originally Posted by jborhek
    The low contrast original is generally the result of going from a small color space (sRGB) into a larger color space. If you set Photoshop to use the same color space as your digital camera or scanner, the originals will look much better without correction.
    In most cases, I would wholeheartedly agree. However, there are many shots I shot that morning that turned out well, and then many that turned out washed out due to the silt in the air. This photo could be an example of the mis-matched color spaces though, good point.

Good point. I recently shot a demolition derby in the rain with similar results. Messed up my lenses too!
    I do love the levels adjustment feature in Photoshop.

Did you try clicking and white balancing the top image using the eye droppers in Levels first and seeing what happened to the image. Try it use the hightlight on the front left of the car in the white and then use the shadows inside the cabin in a darkish area and see what happens with the image. You might next time save a little time processing images that appear like the top one does.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yeah, messing up the lenses is no fun. The Nikon I have been shooting in the desert in has taken some massive silt into the innards. It doesn't want to function properly, so I justified buying a 20D rather than refurbishing that one hehe

Thread Information