Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Cropping and Printing

I finally decided to try to print one of the pics I took recently. I took the file to Walgreens, and when it was finished, the sides were cropped too tight. You can find the image I printed here at the end of the thread. Half of my father's right hand was chopped off and about half of his left arm. The person behind the counter insisted that there were no changes made during the printing, so we looked at it on the monitor and the full image appeared. However, the edge of the crop on the monitor was exactly where it was for the printed image. There was no way to increase it to include the entire image. The sales person was clueless, as was I.

The image size is 2322 px wide X 2592 px high. I have recently, upon suggestions found here, began an account at Mpix, but wanted to get this clear before I begin ordering more prints. Am I missing something? Should the image be a particular size for printing?

I apologize if this has been covered already. I just couldn't find anything the addressed my problem specifically.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by frleal70; 05-14-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Re: Cropping and Printing

I'm guessing since it was at Walgreen's that you were trying to print in a standard rectangular format like 8x10 or 4x6. If that was the case, your photo is too square for these formats. The ratio of an 8x10 is 4/5 and the ratio of a 4x6 is 2/3 - yours is closer to 2/2.23. You either need to sacrifice some of the sides (as you saw) or you can sacrifice some of the top and bottom and get a square print from someplace like mpix (which, as you've obviously read, does a great print job).

Hopefully that helps.

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This is very helpful, thank you. I was not aware of those ratios when I would crop a pic. I'll pay closer attention from now on. Thanks again. I sure am learning a lot from this forum! :thumbsup:

If you are having similar issues, you might find this tutorial helpful. It cleared things up for me. :idea:

Thread Information