Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Choosing a printer

I have an HP photosmart a516 inkjet printer that does a fairly good job of printing out 4x6 postcard prints (vivera tricolor 110 ink used on HP premium glossy paper) and lately I've had more demand to start printing bigger prints - ones to go up on walls and in frames that are hung over mantles and such. Measurements I am looking into are ideally 20x30, but 13x19" will probably be the most ideal.

I don't know a lot about what to look for when buying a printer, and I would like to make a plunge of about something under 1500 $ to spend to start up with a decent one. I need some advice on what to look for when printer shopping, and what the hell i should be looking for when buying compared to other printers ( what not to do ). Also previous experience of yours' that you may have with printers or printers that you think should be recommended....now that i think about it this is prolly in the review section ... however ...anyway...

I was thinking about this
    http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoE...Resources.aspx

And if not that the slightly cheaper epson r2880 or the r2400

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kajuah; 07-31-2008 at 03:06 AM.

Re: Choosing a printer

Thats a fine printer. Epson makes three, unless the 4800 is discontinued, 17" printers.
    The 3800, the 4800?, and the 4880. The 4880 is the higher end model of this size with it's biggest difference being it's inkset. It uses something called "Vivid magenta" to add a bit of pop to the reds and purples, etc.
    The 3800 uses the same inkset as the 2400, which I own and have been making excellent quality prints with for a few years. The price is right for a printer of that size and quality and once you get it your next biggest quest will be paper choices . . . .
    I have played with many different papers and have come to settle on a favorite, but the field is constantly opening up with tempting choices so I will be experimenting some more again.
    If you are not already familiar with profiles and printing settings, start looking into it to get the most of your machine and your images.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

thanks for the reply, i'm doing my best to read into it as thoroughly as i can ! I'm curious, what paper do you prefer to use with your printer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kajuah
    thanks for the reply, i'm doing my best to read into it as thoroughly as i can ! I'm curious, what paper do you prefer to use with your printer?
    For serious printing I have settled on Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl
    http://www.hahnemuehle.com/index.php...g=us&pkat=1164
    It is expensive, but the results always leave me smiling and in awe. Excellent tonal range, and detail that is amazing.
    I have tried traditional fine art papers,ones without the sheen coating and although I find the results very desireable for certain images there is a serious issue with the surface flaking somethimes which can leave you with little white specks on the print. Not good.

Another paper I have been trying to test but was hard to come by as it is still fairly new is
    InkPress Pro Silky
    http://www.inkpresspaper.com/profiles.asp?PaperID=39

This paper is produced by a company called Sihl but was bought up by InkPress.
    I have read great reviews of this paper and would like to try it myself. It should be even a bit heavier the Fine Art Pearl, and from what i can see, not much cheaper.

If I'm just printing photos for friends and family of friends and family than I have the pack of Epson Premium semi-gloss 4x6 and maybe 5x7 as well.

These manufacturers offer icc profiles for each of their products and I find they work just fine for me. If you don't see the icc profile for the 3800, you can try using the one offered for the 2400 as the inksets are the same and similiar results should be had.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information