Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Canon files opening up as 72DPI in Photoshop

I've had this problem both on my home PC & work PC using different image files. Everytime I open up a jpg from a Canon camera, it opens it as 72DPI instead of 300 DPI. Any other file that I open from my Nikons or somewhere else that is 300DPI will open up as that.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: Canon files opening up as 72DPI in Photoshop

I just thought this was normal. It works the same from my Panasonic.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

This was answered in a recent thread - DPI out of a camera is meaningless as it is purely used for monitors and printing. 72Dpi - 96dpi is adequate for monitors 270 - 360 Dpi is adequate for most printers. Setting this in Camera makes no difference to the quality of the pic as you reset this to suit the Monitor/Web/Printer that you are about to use to display the picture.

I set the default in PS to 300 dpi when opening a picture so its ready to print, but to get it on the web I have an action that sets it to 96dpi but frequently forget to use it.

Hope that helps.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Its wierd since it only happens when I open Canon files. My Nikon files always open up to 300. I guess its another reason to stick with Nikon
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    This was answered in a recent thread - DPI out of a camera is meaningless as it is purely used for monitors and printing. 72Dpi - 96dpi is adequate for monitors 270 - 360 Dpi is adequate for most printers. Setting this in Camera makes no difference to the quality of the pic as you reset this to suit the Monitor/Web/Printer that you are about to use to display the picture.

Roger
    With regards to display on a monitor and DPI within the image file, it's a very common myth that has been perpetuated now for many years. The DPI when displayed on a monitor won't make ounce of difference visually, as the dot pitch on a monitor is fixed and is determined by the physical characteristics of the monitor itself, not setting within the image file. The pixel resolution of the image is what makes the difference on a display unit.

To illustrate this point, this picture is 1024x768@300dpi.

Now, the following image is at 1024x768@1dpi

Notice no difference visually on the monitor. Now if you try to print the suckers, there will vast difference in print size and quality.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Thread Information