Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Best photo printer for $200 or less??

Ok, I've just started scanning all my negatives and I'd like to start making prints from the scans. I'd also like to have a good photo printer for when I get my digital camera. Soooo...I'm asking you all because I trust your judgement. Help me! Oh, and what's the best photo paper to go along with that??

Re: Best photo printer for $200 or less??

I'm a Canon fan for printers and scanners so I'll recommend you to look into the Canon PIXMA iP6000D, I don't own it but saw some nice reviews about that printer and is in you range price.

For a Epson fan the answer will be different.. ; )
    cheers
    Juanjo

wanna see photos !

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    For a Epson fan the answer will be different.. ; )
    .. and for HP fans, different yet... I just bought an HP C4180 for my daughter to use at college. It was less than $150 at Office Depot, is one of their "Photosmart" models, and uses the Vivera inks. Besides being a rather compact all-in-one, what I liked about it was the little 4x6 adapter tray for printing on photo size paper. Personally, I use the 2610 (P-S-C), but that's in the little over $200 range... if they still make them.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

A bit of advice, and then a plug......

If you're in the market for a printer, make sure you price not just the printer, but the ink cartridges as well. A lot of manufacturers sell printers that are relatively inexpensive, but the ink cartridges are through the roof. Also, look to see how easily you can refill the cartridges, if you are considering going that route.

Now the plug. I may be in a minority here, but having done this for awhile, I now get my prints made through Costco.com: 4x6s are 17 cents, 5x7s are 39 cents, and 8x10s are $1.49. I can't print them that cheaply at home. You can also download the printer profiles from the website, and tailor the images to the printer. Prints are usually done the same day you order them.

As a disclaimer, I should point out that I work for Costco (though not in Photo). In reality, I think that the only real effect that has for me is to make getting my prints there hugely convienient. I order them in the morning, and pick them up at the end of my shift.

-Joe U.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    ...A lot of manufacturers sell printers that are relatively inexpensive, but the ink cartridges are through the roof...
    -Joe U.
    Not quite... ALL manufacturers do this! But you are right to consider the price of ink when purchasing a printer. Being an avid computer user, but only a casual photographer, I'd rather print my own pictures than get them printed. By placing three 4x6s on 8.5x11 paper, which I get at Sam's, the cost runs about 5 cents per print plus the cost of ink, which I estimate to be about another 5 cents, or less. I have avoided re-filling ink cartridges, so far, but I'm still looking for a good source that is guaranteed not to ruin the printer.
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    Not quite... ALL manufacturers do this! But you are right to consider the price of ink when purchasing a printer. Being an avid computer user, but only a casual photographer, I'd rather print my own pictures than get them printed. By placing three 4x6s on 8.5x11 paper, which I get at Sam's, the cost runs about 5 cents per print plus the cost of ink, which I estimate to be about another 5 cents, or less. I have avoided re-filling ink cartridges, so far, but I'm still looking for a good source that is guaranteed not to ruin the printer.
    When I had the Epson 740 printer I kept track of ink and paper usage, and It worked out to $0.40 per page for ink 40% ink coverage, on glossy photo paper. I did the same for the Epson C-80 and the cost was less. I have not done any accounting on the Epson R-2400 but the cost of ink per page is more than the C-80 series is but then there are 8 ink tanks not 4, but it is a real photo printer.

The Epson printers I've had have outputted great prints, and with C-80 and R-2400 light fast prints. I've had a print in a southern facing window for two years the mat is faded but the picture is like new. As far as I know all the other makes use dye based inks but the Epson ink for the C-80 and R-2400 are pigment based. Epson does use dye based inks in some of their printers.

I have prints for sale at several stores my prints have to be light fast and not fade. But I like to print on mat paper so the problems that C-80 had with glossy paper was not really a problem.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

You might try the HP Photosmart C5180. It usually runs about $200, and there is almost always a rebate of some sort to go with it. It uses the 02 ink tanks, and you can get all of them (5 colors, plus black) and 50 sheets for 4x6 paper for $38. You can't refill them, but its still pretty cheap. I work for Office Depot, and I sell a bunch of them, and people always come back and say they don't have any regrets. I also like the Canon IP6600, but I think it is a little more than $200.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thread Information