Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Any Linux users here?

I'm getting ready to set up my 3rd (and most powerful yet) "saved from the trash" pile linux laptop and again thought about how i will use it.

I love linux for basic computing and even found it halfway decent for photo editing, except for monitor calibration and RAW conversion, although the latter is more due to the wimpy hardware of said machines not the OS. I still use a Windows machine as my primary photo box.

It got me thinking, there must be some open source crazy photographer out there who does serious photo editing with Linux.
    Anyone here? If so, any tips and tricks I should know about?

I did find an interesting blog on the topic. tp://jcornuz.wordpress.com/, but thats about it.

The linux forums are too full to effectively search for anyone doing anything beyond basic photo stuff.
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

Re: Any Linux users here?

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    I'm getting ready to set up my 3rd (and most powerful yet) "saved from the trash" pile linux laptop and again thought about how i will use it.

I love linux for basic computing and even found it halfway decent for photo editing, except for monitor calibration and RAW conversion, although the latter is more due to the wimpy hardware of said machines not the OS. I still use a Windows machine as my primary photo box.

It got me thinking, there must be some open source crazy photographer out there who does serious photo editing with Linux.
    Anyone here? If so, any tips and tricks I should know about?

I did find an interesting blog on the topic. tp://jcornuz.wordpress.com/, but thats about it.

The linux forums are too full to effectively search for anyone doing anything beyond basic photo stuff.
    You can get photoshop to run under "WINE" but there's no native graphics application that comes close to PS. The only reason I have to use Linux is to run SPSS via a UNIX link (I hate SPSS as you can imagine), the graphics side of linux is still weak as there are no anti-aliased fonts and display drivers are somewhat basic.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I've thought about the whole PS via wine route, but for that much effort I'd rather just have a full fledged windows machine and a linux machine, which I would say really goes back to the driver issue, it's just easier not to bother with it all. Although I'm sure there must be some video card that has decent linux drivers.

I have to say, that while not anywhere in the same leauge as PS (honestly what is), for free GIMP is a powerful program.

Thats interesting about the fonts, I did not know that.

Not familiar with SPSS (I did read up on it a bit just now though), but I'd say that any time you say "have to use" in reference to an OS, its not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy
    I've thought about the whole PS via wine route, but for that much effort I'd rather just have a full fledged windows machine and a linux machine, which I would say really goes back to the driver issue, it's just easier not to bother with it all. Although I'm sure there must be some video card that has decent linux drivers.

I have to say, that while not anywhere in the same leauge as PS (honestly what is), for free GIMP is a powerful program.

Thats interesting about the fonts, I did not know that.

Not familiar with SPSS (I did read up on it a bit just now though), but I'd say that any time you say "have to use" in reference to an OS, its not a good thing.
    It's not that I hate Linux, it's just that it's not as user friendly as a mac or even windows. I like things to be simple enough that I can do my work without feeling the OS take over my work. SPSS is a statistical analysis program that makes excel look as user friendly as pong.

I'd go with mac (or windows) personally.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    SPSS is a statistical analysis program that makes excel look as user friendly as pong.

I'd go with mac (or windows) personally.
    Ha ha, that does not sound like a fun program to use. Yeah I'm typically a Windows guy, never liked the Mac OS much, something about the lack off right click drives me nuts. Guess it's all what you're used to.

I personally only use Linux in my attempts at salvaging older machines, my DIY ethics, environmental leanings and overal cheapness leads me to try and "save" computers from the trash heap. I've been able to make a few very viable "travel" laptops this way. Something to jam under the seat in my car in case I need to check my e-mail on the road or any other semi basic tasks. Xubuntu linux has worked extremely well on this front, it really lets me run PCs beyond their "normal capabilities". I like the ability to tweak an OS to my needs, that is what really appeals to me about open source. Ha ha I just wish I was better at it and could get the graphics aspect in line, because more advanced photo editing would be a great thing to do at

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Wow, SPSS takes me back to my teens - working for the government at the Weed Research Organisation near Oxford.
    Once they discovered I could type and knew computers and statistics, I got shut indoors doing boring stuff.
    No more going out in the fields in a HazChem suit and respirators spraying paraquat in 70 degree heat.

I have to use Linux at work (CentOS) because it's what the commission application supports. For personal use, I'll stick to Windows - though if I can't get XP on my next PC I'll go Mac rather than Vista.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    For personal use, I'll stick to Windows - though if I can't get XP on my next PC I'll go Mac rather than Vista.
    Ha ha you are certainly not the first person I've heard say that. Even if your next PC comes with Vista (or preferably no OS), you can always still install XP. Copies are still being sold, $99 (USD) a pop.

I think it's kind of funny that Microsoft sort of tried to emulate Mac a bit with Vista, in appearance and UI or at least it seems that way to me. Now Vista is driving more people to Mac than the I-Mac did.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I'm determined to get my t-shirt transfer printing working.
    Just so I can have one that says
    "Friends don't let friends do Vista
    Just say NO !"
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information