Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>

Adobe Lightroom - Good or Bad??

So i stumble upon some interesting information (for me at least) that Adobe are releasing Lightroom soon....bewildered i went to Adobe Labs, found a Beta version, and started giving it a whirl (all of that today) so in the mean time as i give the beta version a run to see if it will be worth the purchase... I was wondering if anyone actually tried it...

And what do you think? Good? Bad? Not so Good? Excellent? Terrible???

If you haven't tried it and are interested here's the link...looks ok so far:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Re: Adobe Lightroom - Good or Bad??

Marc,

I like it, would like a few more features such as red eye... but it looks good.

My only concern is that Adobe will price it too high for an amateur like me with not very deep pockets.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Roger,

Do check out the website, it will be running at $199 if you pre order and $299...

They also posted what the extra features are gonna be...

So i guess you would advise it for those who can put in the cash??

Thanks.. Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Pre order in the USA cheaper, but for those of us in the rest of the world
    Perhaps time to use my contacts in the USA to accept delivery for me and ship it surface.

They're not the only software manufacturer who does it, Microsoft often release developer jumpstart kits for new technology in the USA only.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Pre order in the USA cheaper, but for those of us in the rest of the world
    Perhaps time to use my contacts in the USA to accept delivery for me and ship it surface.

They're not the only software manufacturer who does it, Microsoft often release developer jumpstart kits for new technology in the USA only.
    Paul,

On the Adobe Web site you get £50 off the expected price:

"Introductory Price Special
    Get Lightroom before April 30, 2007 and save £50 off the expected retail price of £175 (ex VAT). See terms. "

price is £125 (inc VAT £146.88)

What gets me is the expected price so it could go up or down from that figure.

Still very expensive for me (Amateur) since there is a load of free stuff out there, e.g. Canon software, Pro Shooter, which may not do all as nicely as lightroom it does most of it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Paul i don't know about the UK, but here Aramex ( the couriers) have a special deal where you can purchase a Postal Box in N.Y. and link it to yours back home, every fortnight they check for any packages received and ship them over, you pay according to the weight of the package(s)... I have that and it means i end up paying cheaper for my purchases online form the states or the UK even ( i get another box in the UK)

Roger - I am not so sure as to whether lightroom feels professional enough or not.... still have some more playing to do... maybe once i get i used to the layouts of everything, since i am used to the usual set ups of the Adobe series... And at $300 (or $200 pre-order) it does not seem worth the purchase when you got the availble software..

Now..being such a Canon lover myself.... what software are you talking about? thanks for any help on that one!

Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusK
    Now..being such a Canon lover myself.... what software are you talking about? thanks for any help on that one!

Marc
    Marc

Its the Canon ZoomBrowser EX and its raw converter and the Digital Photo Professional which came with my camera Powershot pro 1.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

I have ZoomBrowser EX, when you have 3000 photos in a folder it can't cope and dies so painfully
    Digital Photo Professional does a good job of conversion, but Lightroom is so much easier to use !

I tried Raw Shooter Essentials and it's free, and handles my 1D and 20D files fine.
    It is missing some options in Lightroom that I could live without, and the price is right.
    So there is no need for me to get Lightroom yet.

If only I had listened to Photo-John and bought Raw Shooter Pro then I'd have a free upgrade to Lightroom.

Type into goooogle "convert 199 dollar to pound" and you get £101.40
    Which means I can save £25 !!
    PAul

I use it and I reallly like it. The only thing is, there aren't layers, or anything near Photoshop. I think the price they are asking is very high for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I have ZoomBrowser EX, when you have 3000 photos in a folder it can't cope and dies so painfully
    Digital Photo Professional does a good job of conversion, but Lightroom is so much easier to use !

I tried Raw Shooter Essentials and it's free, and handles my 1D and 20D files fine.
    It is missing some options in Lightroom that I could live without, and the price is right.
    So there is no need for me to get Lightroom yet.

If only I had listened to Photo-John and bought Raw Shooter Pro then I'd have a free upgrade to Lightroom.

Type into goooogle "convert 199 dollar to pound" and you get £101.40
    Which means I can save £25 !!
    Paul,

I use Zoombrowser based on date photos were taken, and I have never taken more than about 200/300 in a day so mine is okay. I tend to delete the rubbish very quickly so never get that problem.

As for your $ conversion; don't forget import tax at, what is it now 20%? so legally you'd save £5

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jcapphoto
    I use it and I reallly like it. The only thing is, there aren't layers, or anything near Photoshop. I think the price they are asking is very high for what you get.
    JCAP, I don't think Lightroom is supposed to be a replacement for photoshop, which is why it lacks layers and other features commonly found in that program. Instead, I believe it is supposed to be a supplement to Photoshop by handling RAW processing.

Considering the discount through the end of April, the price isn't that bad for a professional-grade tool.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Quote Originally Posted by jcapphoto
    I use it and I reallly like it. The only thing is, there aren't layers, or anything near Photoshop.
    It's not meant to be like photoshop.
    It's a raw converter and photo organiser.

Why would they put in features that stop you paying $ for photoshop as well?
    It doesn't make business sense.
    PAul

Thread Information