Digital Imaging and Computers Forum

Digital Imaging and Computers Forum This forum is for discussing digital photo processing, including RAW image conversion, Photoshop techniques, digital photography workflow, digital image management, and anything else related to digital image processing.
Digital Photography Software Guide >>
Read and Write Photography Software Reviews >>
Read and Write Photo Printer Reviews >>
Computer Reviews >>
    Liz

2 Adobe problems on new pc

Last night my new computer was installed - I have Vista 32-bit. Everything went smoothly - all drivers and software installed perfectly with one exception. PSElements 6 would not install. It kept coming up with Error 1385 which we googled and couldn't find a match. The box says it is compatable with Vista (doesn't give any other Vista info - just Vista).

This morning I got a pop up to update "Adobe" (acrobat I think) on my computer so I clicked on the link. Another pop up said there was a problem and click to repair which I did. Then another pop up stated the problem is "the fault of Adobe" (now Microsoft would never admit anything was their fault!). At any rate, it automatically tried to repair it. Another pop up stated upgrading to Adobe 9 would repair it. I clicked to upgrade and took the option to restart the computer now.

The computer would not restart - just shut down with the light still on. It took me a long while holding the button down to turn it off. I waited and turned it back on and it crashed. Long story short - got the message after trying to repair itself that it could not repair automatically. I called the person who installed the computer who lead me through taking the pc back to where it was before the crash - it went back to last night - and now it works fine after a good restart.

My computer friend is checking to see if there are any problems with Adobe 9 and/or Adobe Elements 6. We know they are two separate problems, not connected, but he is just checking as to why we had the problems.

I checked the MS website for Elements that are compatable or not. All PSElement versions are listed on their website except Elements 6 as compatable. PSE6 is not listed. The others work mostly due to patches, but there was no info on 6 which is strange since it's been out so long. There is no patch as far as I could find.

Does anyone have information on the above 2 situations - or thoughts?

Thanks.
    Liz

Re: 2 Adobe problems on new pc

A better question would be: is anyone using Adobe Elements 6 with Vista?

My only answer isn't so useful. I am still using XP because I was scared of this type of problem.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am using Vista and Elements 6 without problems except those caused by me using too much of my computer's resources.

Sorry I can't help more...

Sabine

I also "turned off" all of the Vista transparancy effect (Aero glass or whatever they call it) I did that mostly to save resources because that glass effect is a video hog. But its worth a shot in your case...

There is also a way to run programs as if you were still in a non Vista environment. YOu can try that too to see if it helps
    http://filext.com/faq/run_old_program_xp.php

Sabine

Hey!

Thanks for posting. It's great to see you here, Sabine!
    Photo-John

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Did you try contacting Adobe?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by sabine
    I also "turned off" all of the Vista transparancy effect (Aero glass or whatever they call it) I did that mostly to save resources because that glass effect is a video hog. But its worth a shot in your case...

There is also a way to run programs as if you were still in a non Vista environment. YOu can try that too to see if it helps
    http://filext.com/faq/run_old_program_xp.php

Sabine
    Sabine,
    I will pass this info on to my computer person as I am quite technically challenged and would rather he attempt any changes. I appreciate the information. He is working now, so I've been emailing him and ideas or suggestions/comments people are giving me. He is looking into some things, but suspects it had something to do with the attempt to upgrade Adobe (Adobe pop up stated "this is the fault of Adobe" then it crashed). I found that quite interesting.

BTW, I noticed the lin included "run old problem xp" but this computer never had xp on it. It's a brand new Dell with Vista as the first Windows to be installed (it was in the pc when I bought it).

Thanks again.
    Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Did you try contacting Adobe?
    Frog,
    I did go to their website but didn't try to contact anyone. I couldn't find any references to the problem. I'm leaving the actual contacting up to the person who is helping me. I'm just trying to find out if anyone else had similar situations or might know why this is happening.

Actually, Word 2007 is acting up now. Twice I've gotten a pop up that states that "Word is no longer working. Try the website for repair suggestions." Then a while later it allows me to get on Word again for a little while and I get the same message again.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh......aaaaacccckkkkkkkkkkkk.........

I'm going away tomorrow afternoon for the weekend and want to get this resolved as the pc has to be returned by next week if there is a problem. However, I'm hoping it's not the computer.

If it weren't for these problems today, I could get used to Vista as it has some nice features.

Liz

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    A better question would be: is anyone using Adobe Elements 6 with Vista?

My only answer isn't so useful. I am still using XP because I was scared of this type of problem.
    I remember reading somewhere about Elements 6 having a few problems with Vista - but I forgot where. I tried googling but didn't really come up with anything. And Elements 6 isn't listed on MS website compatability Vista list - it just goes up to Elements 5.2 which must be a patch.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

My wife's laptop looks nice and has been running problem free for almost a year.
    Running nothing but Internet Explorer
    So it's hardly an advert for reliability
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    My wife's laptop looks nice and has been running problem free for almost a year.
    Running nothing but Internet Explorer
    So it's hardly an advert for reliability
    Well, I'm getting tired of this already. Every time I think it's okay, I get another pop-up telling me something isn't working. I'm wondering about getting WinXP installed.

Can I have Vista removed and XT installed? I just don't have the time to keep resolving problems - and needing to call and post and email for help - that is, if this is going to continue. I'm not computer savvy, I like things simple and don't want to have to deal with things I'm so unsure about. I found the change from Windows 98 to XT a dream come true. It was sooooo much better, no problems like I had with 98 - and easy to learn. With Vista, a learning curve is one thing, but persistent problems to deal with are another. Besides the return period on the computer is over next week and I'll be away over the weekend so can't do anything about it then.

My computer person isn't around right now to answer these questions, but he is going to call me tonight and work on my pc from his house - he has done this before and it works well. He is also a good friend that I've known for years along with his family, so he is trustworthy.

Thanks.

Liz

Fresh Windows Install

Liz-
    It's starting to sound like it isn't an Adobe problem, but a Windows install problem. With the kinds of problems you're having, I would try a fresh install. That would be a complete reformat and a fresh install of Windows. Did the computer come with Windows already installed or did your computer guy do it for you? Is it a store version of Windows with proprietary crap in it or just a straight copy of Vista?
    Photo-John

Liz

Re: Fresh Windows Install

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-
    It's starting to sound like it isn't an Adobe problem, but a Windows install problem. With the kinds of problems you're having, I would try a fresh install. That would be a complete reformat and a fresh install of Windows. Did the computer come with Windows already installed or did your computer guy do it for you? Is it a store version of Windows with proprietary crap in it or just a straight copy of Vista?
    The computer came with Windows Vista 32-bit installed - and of course the HD, RAM, DVD, processor etc. I think it must have been a straight copy of Vista as there were only a couple other things included - MS Works, a link to McAfee and 1 or 2 links internet options. My computer person installed an online security/virus protection, printer, MS Office Home and Student 2007, my Palm Pilot, Western Digital HD, speakers, Verizon DSL - and PSElements wouldn't install. That's about it.

Liz

Liz-

I have two suggestions. First, try trashing the Elements preferences file and restarting. If that doesn't work, move or rename the Fonts folder.

I've had Photoshop crash on me, and the problem turned out to be a font gone bad. The only way to find it was to remove ALL the fonts, then re-add them one at a time: a tedious process to be sure, but I eventually got it sorted out.

Did you install Elements from the disk, or transfer it from your old machine? Could be a plug-in compatibility issue, too.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Liz-

I have two suggestions. First, try trashing the Elements preferences file and restarting. If that doesn't work, move or rename the Fonts folder.

I've had Photoshop crash on me, and the problem turned out to be a font gone bad. The only way to find it was to remove ALL the fonts, then re-add them one at a time: a tedious process to be sure, but I eventually got it sorted out.

Did you install Elements from the disk, or transfer it from your old machine? Could be a plug-in compatibility issue, too.

- Joe U.
    Joe,

The crash didn't happen last night when Dennis (computer person) was installing Elements. Actually he couldn't install it as the computer wouldn't accept it. He was trying to install it from the disk. It wasn't Elements that crashed it. The crash happened this morning immediately after I tried to upgrade Adobe reader to the newest version of 9.0. It may have been a coincidence that it crashed at that moment, however. At any rate Dennis is going to work on my computer from his house tonight as he can get into my computer from there.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Liz

Just a short update. Please excuse the layman's terminology and explanations below - this is not what I do best....I'm learning, but still plenty ignorant of technology.

Thankfully the computer is working and so far it looks like the issues are resolved. The first problem with the crash was caused by an Adobe upgrade. As I mentioned in a previous post, there was a problem with the upgrade - Adobe sent a message "this is the fault of Adobe" which was surprising. At any rate an immediate repair began at that time that didn't work. On top of that in response to a recommendation by Adobe, I upgraded to Adobe 9 - but the upgrade only went partially through. And the computer crashed.

Dennis removed Adobe completely from the computer. He also removed what I think he said were some Adobe add-ons that were in Word (don't ask - I have no clue what that was about) - then restarted the computer. The computer then had another problem - after restarting, it continuously showed a pop up stating the computer had to be restarted to "continue updating" and this happened every time the computer restarted. He then went into a system box - and unchecked some programs that start up with the computer that aren't necessary. He did a few other minor things that I lost track of.

The system - including Word - seems to be working fine now after running a few tests after all the work was done. He was working on my computer from his home for a couple of hours.

Hopefully it will last. He told me to work the computer hard between now and next week when the return policy will end. I will be on retreat this weekend - and to be honest - I will be VERY HAPPY to get away from Dell for the weekend! YES!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Just a short update. Please excuse the layman's terminology and explanations below - this is not what I do best....I'm learning, but still plenty ignorant of technology.

Thankfully the computer is working and so far it looks like the issues are resolved. The first problem with the crash was caused by an Adobe upgrade. As I mentioned in a previous post, there was a problem with the upgrade - Adobe sent a message "this is the fault of Adobe" which was surprising. At any rate an immediate repair began at that time that didn't work. On top of that in response to a recommendation by Adobe, I upgraded to Adobe 9 - but the upgrade only went partially through. And the computer crashed.

Dennis removed Adobe completely from the computer. He also removed what I think he said were some Adobe add-ons that were in Word (don't ask - I have no clue what that was about) - then restarted the computer. The computer then had another problem - after restarting, it continuously showed a pop up stating the computer had to be restarted to "continue updating" and this happened every time the computer restarted. He then went into a system box - and unchecked some programs that start up with the computer that aren't necessary. He did a few other minor things that I lost track of.

The system - including Word - seems to be working fine now after running a few tests after all the work was done. He was working on my computer from his home for a couple of hours.

Hopefully it will last. He told me to work the computer hard between now and next week when the return policy will end. I will be on retreat this weekend - and to be honest - I will be VERY HAPPY to get away from Dell for the weekend! YES!

Liz
    Liz,

I installed PSE6 on my laptiop which is running Vista with no problems last night. It is running on my Desktop for months with no problems.

Hope its all working now.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Liz,

I installed PSE6 on my laptiop which is running Vista with no problems last night. It is running on my Desktop for months with no problems.

Hope its all working now.

Roger
    I hope mine continues now - as well as yours. It seems fine.

Liz

I got my finger cross for you Liz :thumbsup:

Thread Information