Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Yet another from the graveyard, and a bit of an intro :)

Hi, all!

First of all, no, everything I do I don't make Sepia...it just is seeming to work well with these shots I took at a local graveyard.

I'm Rick in Indianapolis, I've dabbled in photography for years but only recently have begun trying to improve what I do...to get away from "snapshots" and be creative.

I'm a musician/storyteller by trade, so this is simply an extension of my artistic side. ;)

So, here's this one....comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yet another from the graveyard, and a bit of an intro :)-womansizedforscreen20001.jpg  

Re: Yet another from the graveyard, and a bit of an intro :)

Again, as with the others, very nice tonal range -- really brings out the detail. Good eye movement going up the stairs, leading to the door. Tough composition because you included so many elements but, for me, it works. Improvements? the sky needs more detail! ... at time of exposure, you could have used one of many filters available to darken the sky. Otherwise, you could darken the sky with the Burn tool in Photoshop. And there are many other PS techniques for altering exposure, contrast or vignetting. Also, the horizon needs to be levelled. Otherwise, very nice shot. Welcome Indy Rick. (I hope you don't spend all your time in cemeteries

Thanks, Freedom, and, no I don't spend all my time in cemeteries. Or do I? LOL.

Actually, these are the most recent pics I've taken, and I'm working backwards I do have some happier subjects!

MB1

Looking at this the first thing I thought was "crooked image" and the second thing I thought was "nasty sky".

When I take the time to look at the image I see a lot of detail to like but you never get a second chance to make a bad first impression. So keep on shooting cemeteries as you are getting some neat stuff but pay more attention the the sky, the horizon and backgrounds.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Looking at this the first thing I thought was "crooked image" and the second thing I thought was "nasty sky".

When I take the time to look at the image I see a lot of detail to like but you never get a second chance to make a bad first impression. So keep on shooting cemeteries as you are getting some neat stuff but pay more attention the the sky, the horizon and backgrounds.
    I REALLY appreciate all the thoughts, and the part about the second chance is one of the most valuable thoughts I could've gotten. I'm going to post something else later today....from my earlier days....this is helping SO much! Thanks, gang!

Your right Sepia just works for the graveyard shots. Gives it a old-fashion quality. You could try clearing up the sky with a photoshop tool. But i grew up in the mid-west and its that time of year when nice days are few and very far between. For that tilted look you might try a tripod. Theres been a few times ive had to shoot somthing on an angel so it didnt look tilted. But you gotta do what you gotta do . I like the picture. which cemetary is this. my brother lives in Indianapolis and it looks like a pretty cool place to visit.
    Army

Hey Army! This is Crown Hill Cemetery, which is a FASCINATING place. Their website is www.crownhill.org. They've got an amazing photo gallery on their site.

Indianapolis is blessed with great places to shoot. I'm fortunate to live her. Love it!

Thread Information