Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Yellow Tear Drop

I haven't ventured over to the dark side for some time, but I strayed from my comfort zone with this image and would love to hear what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yellow Tear Drop-dsc_9071-2be-1000.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Yellow Tear Drop

The image is absolutely great , a piece of art!

The processing really works , it turns a probably not stunning image into a really great one
    I like the border too

I'm not understanding your comment about turning to the dark side, how does that relate to the image?

Very nice of you to find my image to your liking. It really surprised me once I finished processing. As to the dark side comment I was refereeing to my pet name for the Critique Forum. I have been on PR for several years and have mainly posted on Viewfinder, Sports Forum and in the Gallery.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Gorgeous. Not sure I would have left the yellow bits up in the right hand corner, but I am still pretty impressed with the artistic nature of this picture. Great detail even with the more painterly look. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Very nice of you to find my image to your liking. It really surprised me once I finished processing. As to the dark side comment I was refereeing to my pet name for the Critique Forum. I have been on PR for several years and have mainly posted on Viewfinder, Sports Forum and in the Gallery.
    ah ... I see

I on the other hand post mostly here in critique

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop View Post
    Gorgeous. Not sure I would have left the yellow bits up in the right hand corner, but I am still pretty impressed with the artistic nature of this picture. Great detail even with the more painterly look. Good job.
    You may be right about the upper right, I first decided to take them out and then decided that little splash of yellow gave the image a little balance. I now realize I should have muted the tip of bright yellow a bit. I appreciate your critique.

Nikon Samurai #13

GB1

OT -

Definitely an artistic image. The yellow pops well against the green background, and the many shades of green gives the image a nice richness. It's not particularly sharp on my monitor here (but then again, nothing's really sharp on this monitor), but that's not so bad considering its artsy nature.

As for suggestions, definitely clone out those upper right reflections/whatevers. I am also unsure on the value of the framing, but it may make the image more classical.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I think it's excellent. I agree about the top right and that bit of a flower not needed there. Without it,i think it would be stronger. But it's still a great image nevertheless. I also would've liked it a bit sharper, but it works. because of it's artistic excellence. I really love the composition, effect and that one big petal!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    I am also unsure on the value of the framing,
    G
    Me neither. I also think the color may be off a bit. Right now it's on the cool side. Not sure if it's intentional or otherwise. Otherwise, like that painting-look.

All valid observations. I'll go back and look at this again and try to incorporate some of your suggestions.. As to the muted yellow that is intentional, in an attempt to give the image a more artistic appeal.

Nikon Samurai #13

I wouldn't change a thing! if artsy is what your going for you nailed it, great colors. Your first shot's your best shot.

My only questions are 1) should the flower in the top right be there and 2) border or no border. But it's beautiful as is. I also love how the detail pops through that soft, painterly processing.

Really excellent work.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to look at this image and to comment, I appreciate it very much. I took one more stab at this one and hopefully incorporated some of your better suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yellow Tear Drop-dsc_9071-5ecf-1000.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

I like some of what you've done on Take 2, but I really like the more painterly effect in your first shot. The imperfections in the sharpness, etc. are what made it for me.

#1 looks like a fine painting,
    #2 looks like a very good photo

in this case I think I prefer the painting look

Things are subjective in this image, I liked the top yellow flower in the top, while others do not, it is very well done and has no glaring problems.

I agree that the two images are very different interpretations of the same photo. Since both are my children so to speak I have some trouble identifying one as better than the other. Thanks for your insight and comments.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information