Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Yello Snow

Yello Snow

Maybe a bad name but i thought it fit. Just a picture, one of many I shot during a snowy cold day last year. I thought it had a painting kind of feel to it. I didn't do anything to the pic other then crop it. I know its slightly out of focus but I thinks due more to the falling snow then anything. Anyhow any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yello Snow-yellosnow.jpg  
    Last edited by SkipT; 07-07-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 18 - 200mm VR f 3.5 - 5.6G
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G
    Nikkor 18 - 120mm VR Kit Lens

Re: Yello Snow

Interesting shot - however it seems a little out of balance with that huge branch cutting the photo into two.

I like both the top half and the bottom half its just that branch I find disturbing.

The yellow bird houses are excellent but a little too close to the right hand edge of the frame. You said you cropped it, if there is more on the right then it may help to balance the photo if it has some tree trunk included.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I think I croped that one alot on the right had side, I will give it a go and see if that looks better maybe.
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G

Took another look at the original shot and I remebered why I croped it like that, the crop is really about 1/3 of the original photo. I saw nothing in the rest of it that would be worth keeping. There are 2 bird feeder hanging to the right of the bird houses that would have not looked very good being there. Oh well it was a good thought Readingr
    Nikon D7000
    Nikon D60
    Nikkor 50mm f 1.4G

Quote Originally Posted by SkipT View Post
    Took another look at the original shot and I remebered why I croped it like that, the crop is really about 1/3 of the original photo. I saw nothing in the rest of it that would be worth keeping. There are 2 bird feeder hanging to the right of the bird houses that would have not looked very good being there. Oh well it was a good thought Readingr
    Another solution is to crop more from the left, to bring the birdhouses in towards the middle more. That's a huge crop, if you've already cropped 1/3. But if we're playing with the composition to see what works, it's a worthwhile exercise.

I agree that the yellow birdhouses against the monochrome background is interesting and I think you were right to take the picture. I'm curious about your auto focus technique and your exposure settings, since you say you think the snow made the photo out of focus. Maybe working on your focusing technique would ensure that doesn't happen again. Shooting while it's snowing can be tricky. Sometimes the camera will focus on snowflakes instead of your intended subject.

Did you make any tighter photos? I can't help but think that a tighter composition that included a bird would have worked great. This location may be worth a revisit, next winter.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information