Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Winter on the marsh

This is a shot of a salt marsh on a nature preserve in Brooklyn, N.Y. It was really cool being there in this snow layered enviroment I used a tamron 19-35 mm wide angle zoom lens at around 22 mm, with an apperture of22. Some cleaning up in psp8 nnd slight adjustment of curves. No cropping. The clouds in the sky were gone within an hour or so, so I was lucky to catch them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter on the marsh-lndscp0204-228x0404web.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Ghost
    Hi Gary,

I like the photo and especially the cool colors of it combined with the warmer elements. For this particular photo I don't think the building is adding anything. Actually, I'd probably have cropped the entire left side of the frame so that the composition was a vertical one which only had the large cracks in the ice that lead to the distant tree.

It's just a little too busy I think.

I still like it though

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ash
    Hi Gary,

I like the photo and especially the cool colors of it combined with the warmer elements. For this particular photo I don't think the building is adding anything. Actually, I'd probably have cropped the entire left side of the frame so that the composition was a vertical one which only had the large cracks in the ice that lead to the distant tree.

It's just a little too busy I think.

I still like it though

Hey Trevor,

Thanks for taking the time to look at and respond. I never thought of it as being busy, but now that you point it out,I see what you mean. Here is a cropped version of the same shot and also a different shot of the same location, just much more tightly cropped with a 70mm lens. I think I still am more pleased with the original posted pic, but you are right, it is a bit busy. I was thinking of maybe cutting down the dof of the shot and seeing if that helps alleviate the clutter.
    Thanks for your time, Trevor.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

gary

I agree with trevor

before I read his post I thought I was going to give some "crazy Advice" but the first thing I thought was take out the building...the cracks and colors and textures in this shot really strong elements enough to hold up to a severe crop. Very interesting and beautiful shot
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I think I agree with you and Trevor about it being too busy. Although I like the shot as is, I can see a more intersting shot of just the cracks in the snow and ice leading to the tree in the distance, as you and Trevor had suggested.I will work on that one. Thanks for your thoughts . .

gary

The second (70mm crop) of the ice along the water is by far the more compelling of the three images IMO. It integrates interesting elements of shape, line and color contrast in a very balanced way. I have shot many photos like this, and while not everyone who sees them "gets it", I can relate to what you were seeing / experiencing and thus know why you would want to capture that scene the way you did.

It's kind of like something I shoot for myself more than for other people.

Anyway, the clouds in the original are neat, and the place itself seems interesting, but I agree it was too busy.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

PuckJunky,
    Your right, that shot works for me,only because I was there and "get" what I was feeling and understand the photo. Thats exactly what I was thinking and you hit the nail on the head. And I agree it is a very busy photo. It is one I would just keep in my album to remeber the day I was there. This thread has been very helpful to me. We all probably like most of the photos we take, but what makes a photograph a very good one is when anyone that sees it for the first time, "gets it" and is entertained by it, so to speak.
    Thanks again, for your insight.

gary

You bet...

Look forward to seeing more of your photos in this forum. One of these days when I get some time I'll post a few "like-minded" photos from my collection and you can let me know what you think.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information