Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: At The Window

At The Window

GB1

Re: At The Window

Very nice colors and sharpness. The cat in the foreground is OK but doesnt completely offer the perfect subject because it is somewhat obscured by the drape, and a little small. But it is better than not being there at all. good work overall.
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Nice, the cat's not over-emphasised.
    I like the light and colours in the window, very effective.
    1/3 light, 2/3 darker, but with different colours right and left 1/3 in the darker area.
    The pelmet curtain at the top and the chair at the bottom give just enough distraction from the geometry of the window panes themselves and add a scale and context.
    The outside scene is dark enough not to distract, I guess that's the effect of the net curtains.
    And the subtle double image of the cat, dark shadow on the curtain and the fainter image of the cat behind the curtain.

Lovely, rich, plenty to attract the eye, rewards careful examination, and it all comes back - for me - to the cat.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

definitely the kind of shot I expect from you. The subtle subject is always what keeps your eye entertained. It's easy to just place your object right in the frame, so the viewers eyes know exactly where to go, but you make it so the eyes look over the entire scene first then to the subject. I like the color on this one, and I feel it is one of my favorites that I have seen from you in a little while.

MB1

Love the colors, love the idea, love the exposure and it is a great subject (and you didn't have to get cold to take the shot!).

I would like to see everything above the 4th horizontal shadow of the window pane cropped out. I think that would get rid of the distraction at the top and give the cat a more noticable presence.

Good stuff.

I don't know if it's my eyes or not, but to me, the picture could use a little straightening.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    I don't know if it's my eyes or not, but to me, the picture could use a little straightening.
    John
    You are right, John. The drapes at the far right and the horizon out the window are close but not quite straight.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Hi Tuna,
    I have the impression that the cat is performing for the viewers before the movie starts. Very nice picture.
    yoyo

Tuna, the vertical lines from the drapes colors, shadows, and seams are pleasing to view. The cat in the window is an added bonus. I like it as is, but after reading some of the other critiques I do wonder if it could be improved by a slight straightening and a crop off the top eliminating the valance hanging down.
    On second thought, the straightening is surley not important here, and after scrolling up on screen to crop out the valance I find that while it still looks good and provides a cleaner overall comp, the valance definetly adds something as well. Either way, as I said, I like it as it is.
    Good catch.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information