Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Wild horse no.4

Seb

Wild horse no.4

Still from the Islands...

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Photonerd

Re: Wild horse no.4

that one is simply gorgeous. love the B&W here, it's perfect. do you know what breed of horse this is by any chance? looks like a cross between a Friesian and a Boulonnais but since it's wild it is hard to tell.
    Feel free to edit/re-post my photos as you like

Nikon Samurai #28

GB1

Seb - Another incredibly clear and dramatic shot. I'm not sure that I like how the horses seem to be connecting in this particular shot, but it's still incredible. The combo of clarity, good choice of lens, and your distance from them is outstanding.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Seb

Echoback: I wish I could provide you with detailled informations regarding these horses. Unfortunatelly, I must admit that I know very little about horses. For what it worths, I was told that these were wild... Thanks for commenting!

GB: The two horses connecting... That's something I didn't picked until you mentioned it. I see what you mean. I guess that there is nothing to do about it other than a reshot from a different angle. Thank you for your support.

Seb

Wow, Very nice shot, I love the angle and the backdrop cloud structure is awesome... But what brings it down for me is the fact that the "wild," truly isn't wild, anymore. Proven by what appears to be an exhaust trail left by a jet.

Seb,

I really like the composition of this shot but for me the lighting of the main horse lets the picture down. The dark shadow around the neck area keeps pulling my attention and it would have been better with a bit of reflected light. (Not much you could have done about that). The lighting on the face and the black horse is terrific.

Sorry for the down beat review - but this is not in the same class (lighting only) as the previous one I commented on.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Seb - as a horse lover, I am enjoying all of your shots from this series. B/W is perfect for the subject, especially with the dramatic sky. Great shots all - but they're mighty clean and well groomed wild horses

But seriously - I would have had each of these as a large poster on my wall as a kid growing up!

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Hi Seb,,once again,,great image...Mono works so well with this entire series..I'd love to see the whole series side by side..

If I'm gonna have a nit-pic,,,only a small one with this image is what looks like an aircraft vapour trail running through the horses ear..I would have cloned it out...

Question for you Seb,,,did you shoot these in B/W or did you convert them to grey scale in PS??Your tonailty is perfect..

Jurgen
    Australia
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

A beautiful picture! I love it. They look a little like mongolian wild horses.

I really like the unusual perspective and angles. The depth and contrast give a sense of distance even though the horse in the foreground is practically in my face - distance between the horse and me, between the two horses, and between both horses and the rest of the world. That sense of distance and isolation, and especially the "empty" space that occupies much of the left side of the photo, seems to speak to the animals' freedom. Very nice!

Seb

JoshC: The place is so remote that I have some difficulty to conceive why a plane would pass by and where it would be heading but yup, it does look like a plane trail. Thanks for commenting.

Roger: That is alright. I guess I might have used an hint of fill flash. I am so not used to the flash that I hardly ever think about it. Thanks.

OBie: Yup, those "wild" horses are classy so to speak... lol

Jurgen: As I said to Josh, I am surprised by this trail. Actually, it is so odd to me that it almost has an interest of its own... To answer to your question, I use a DSLR and I always shoot RAW so yes, this was shot in colors and converted into a b&w in post processing. I used the channel mixer, some dodging and burning and few others goodies. Thanks for commenting.

Nevernefertiti: Thanks!!

Charm87: Thank you for your good words. I forced myself to use my new wide angle all day long that day. I felt awkward for quite some time but I think it produced some interesting results.

Seb

Thread Information