Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Where's the fire?

From last Saturday's Kelby photowalk. What do you folks think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where's the fire?-wwpw20120913sm.jpg  

Re: Where's the fire?

I love this photo! Great catch - good eye. Most of us would have walked right past this without seeing the complex interplay of colors, patterns and shades. There's a lot going on in this photo and that's what makes it so good. My eye never stops exploring all the different patterns and complimentary colors. It is actually working on two levels, I think. At first it hits me as a pure abstract composition of colors and textures. And then the actual content snaps into place. I really like photos that work like that. Very, very nice job! And my pick this time around for Featured Photo!

The only suggestions I have are slight technical ones. It seems a bit soft to me. I think it could use a bit of contrast and unsharp mask. Did you sharpen it at all? If so, how did you do the sharpening? How you sharpen can make a bigger difference than how much.

Really glad you shared this!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Many thanks, John! Re sharpening - I sharpened in LR4 just using the slider. But I noticed that it seemed to have lost sharpness when I uploaded. I'm not sure what is going on here. On my screen the export file I uploaded here (800 pixels on the long side) doesn't look much softer than the one I submitted / posted on G+ (1000 pixels on the long side, link below). But in the forum post it looks much softer. I'm guessing something about my export settings for the smaller version created an issue when uploaded here. Any ideas?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...85230604092290

Thanks again!
    Last edited by srblough; 10-21-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: clarification.

No Comments, Yet?

No critiques on this yet? Am I the only one who appreciates it or you all just at a loss as to how to critique it? If you disagree with this photo as our current Featured Photo, let me know why by offering your own critique.

As for the sharpening - sharpening should be done at output, after resizing. I always use the Unsharp Mask filter in Photoshop because I feel like it gives me the most control and I understand it the best.
    Photo-John

Well I like it. I do however think it could be a touch wider including all of the handle on the right and hose on the left. You might also bump the saturation and contrast just a little. I like how you framed the bottom. Congrats on the feature.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

NSSA/AIPS

In Lightroom it makes a difference too if you work with all the sliders in the sharpening box. I don't know your method, but I definitely work with the detail and radius sliders as well as the sharpness slider. I agree that unsharp mask in PS of the freeware equivalent works better in many cases but I'm loath to fire up another editor for one step when LR does all I need it to do.
    It's not about the camera....

Thanks again all. If anyone has a chance to check the version at the link I posted above, I would be interested to know if sharpening / saturation look any better - same PP, just different export settings.

It does look much better at the other site. Great image by the way! I love the play of colors and textures.

Quote Originally Posted by srblough View Post
    Thanks again all. If anyone has a chance to check the version at the link I posted above, I would be interested to know if sharpening / saturation look any better - same PP, just different export settings.
    I did not look at the other version. But I have now. And it looks excellent. I'm not sure what you mean by, "different export settings." Did you export from the original full-size file or did you resize the smaller image you posted on G+? Since the upload here doesn't resize your images it shouldn't affect the way they look at all. I make a copy and resize specifically to post here and elsewhere on the Web, sharpening last, just before saving. And my images always look fine here. So I am pretty sure that something is different in the way you set up the image here compared to the one you posted on G+.
    Photo-John

I've looked at this several times and haven't really been able to offer a critique. It's an excellent shot and the version of G+ is fantastic - big improvement.

Is this a crop? My first thought was that I would have backed off slightly on the left and right, but I'm not sure it matters.

Congrats on the feature!

Not a crop except for a little straightening, this is how I framed it in camera for better or worse. The G+ is 1000 pixels on the long side; file was too big for posting here so I created another. I was moving fast, obviously I did something in creating the smaller file where the sharpness was lost. I will see if I can figure out what happened and if possible will re-post a better version here.

Anyway thanks for all of the kind words! Very much appreciated.

Post-script - uploaded again directly into my member gallery, doesn't seem to have any sharpness problem.
    Fire truck - detail photo from the PhotographyREVIEW.com Gallery

GB1

Congrats on the sticky, srblough. Looks like a painting to me somehow. And yes - great eye in seeing this and figuring out the composition. A little geometry never hurts our photos, and I sort of like the way it moves at the diagonal from top left to bottom right. A lot of color and tricky perspective also.

Do you mean Scott Kelby btw, or another photography event?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks GB1 - yes, it was the Scott Kelby photowalk event that happened on 10/13. Just found out this photo won my local walk - but then there were only 3 entries :-)
    Agree the strong diagonal is key, particularly with the contrast of black below the diagonal and colors above. Also I like the variety of textures. And (as someone pretty inexperienced with post-processing) I credit a significant assist to LR4 - besides saturation, sharpening and pulling highlights way down to keep the handle from being blown out, I was able to use the selection brush to bring up the shadow area left middle while darkening down the black vinyl cover. That's one awesome piece of software.

Looking again. And the more I look, the more I like - especially the G+ version. Very well done.

Most stupid topic in the world

Hi people call me Joana, greetings from Frankfurt, I wrote such a strange topic to get your attention

Such relevant content like yours has to be valued so you don´t have to thank me

I develope pages in many interfaces and that is what I´m doing at this time, lol! and it was the reason I came here on your page to find new concepts to my website, I in freepokermoneynodepositbonus com/freebankrolls html]Poker No Deposit , I just hope you don´t care putting the link to my site I can delete it if you got a problem just say it

I like books as well as tv shows, and I also enjoy a lot Him, my new hobbie at the time is playing online poker, like most of you I think as well as board games

I forgot to tell, I was born In Peru from there it comes my ceptical behaviour, an my nickname implied to poker!!!!

I always like to end my pots with something like this, as the the poet once said "We shouldn’t let a sour hour lower our power"

Just a small aid you have to put more social network buttons on this website, like twitter, this has been a good way to improve google penguin 2 5, thas has been making us crazy, they are always telling to do Content for users , but what is quality to Google staff ???

BYe BYe to all of you, Bye

Apparently, Scott Kelby like your shot:

Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider | Photoshop & Photography Techniques, News, Books, Reviews & More

Scroll down to find out.

Congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post
    Apparently, Scott Kelby like your shot:

Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider | Photoshop & Photography Techniques, News, Books, Reviews & More

Scroll down to find out.

Congrats !
    Wow. Nice shots!

Thread Information