Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Where is he

Where is he

New to photography took this with Zuiko 35mm macro lens how could I improve it? Have Gimp photo editing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is he-where-he1-.jpg  
    Last edited by frank632; 03-23-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Re: Where is he

The picture looks very white, oh wait, you forgot to attach it.:blush2:
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Welcome to the forums. Hope to see your pic.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Your title is great....."Where is he?"

Welcome!!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Funny post .

lol, yes the image is way too blown.

Frank,

Frank

Welcome to the site and hope you don't take afront to my friends comments, we have a very dry sense of humour on this site.

Try attaching a photo by uploading the photo, don't forget to click on the upload button.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Sorry about that computers are on my list of things to learn about.Couldn't have picked a better caption for a mistake like that

I have to admit that this picture does nothing for me. I would either like to see the dogs face, or possibly an idea of what he is looking at. Maybe shot from a different angle.
    -Shawn
    www.tpsphotos.com

Canon EOS 6d w/Battery Grip
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS Rebel G
    Canon EOS Rebel XS
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon EF 25-80mm f4-5.6 III
    Canon EF 70-210mm f4
    Canon 35-70 f3.5-4.5
    Canon Lens EF 50mm f1.8
    Promaster FTD 6500M
    Canon Speedlite 420ex
    Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II

Well, the tonal graduations in the water are very harsh, I assume you either applied a filter or had issues saving the proper format. I would also rather have a view of the dogs front, unless there is a specific purpose or meaning behind the back side... Certainly you didn't get the water like that from the camera, could you post the original?

Is this better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where is he-where-he1.jpg  

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Hi Frank and welcome,

I think the shot is a great capture and a good eye for something different, well done on that. For me it's probably about how you'd go about cropping the shot to bring some perspective and work toward the 1/3rd rule. That said I'd probably crop the left side out since the dog is looking toward the right. I'd try cropping to just before the moss on the rock and then crop from the bottom to just above the first big piece of moss. Look forward to see more of your shots. Cheers, S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

I agree with shootme on the crop, but I think even better would be to shoot this from a much lower perspective - get the camera down to (or near) the dog's level, so that you are pointed toward whatever he's looking at, with him being more directly toward one side of the frame or the other. Color focus and exposure are good, just need to work on the composition a bit.

I agree about shooting at the dogs level and the crop suggested, however I do like the quirkiness to the shot.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Welcome, frank. I would have shot this too. Sometimes you have to grab what you can, when you can, and I doubt this scene lasted long. The second version is better because of the water.
    Speeds crop will help.
    And, yes it would have been better if you had been able to get lower we could see a far horizon or something out on the water the dog was looking at. Then the dog would lead our eyes to something.
    Its still a good catch and if that is your dog, you will remember the moment every time you look at this pic.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I think this is a very good shot. It conveys a "feeling" or "mood", instead of just being "a photo". Great catch, with perfect timing! :thumbsup:

I applied some edits to the 2nd photograph, but won't post it without your prior permission. GIMP was used and a couple of external plug-ins.

Please feel free to post it Alex. i am here to learn
    Frank

Here it is...

Attachment 65657

Thank you Alex its great. The dog (Bonnie) belongs to my brother in law we were out walking her. when she gets to this spot she goes down the cliff to look for cormorants. If you don't mind I would like to print a copy of it to give to my sister.
    PS what was the plugin you used. I'm still trying to work out how to get them loaded.

A picture is a present you give yourself shootme's Avatar

Alex, that's great what you've done and I like that you centered to the left 1/3rd. Wish I could use PP as you've done here instead of just crop and a bit of light adjustment. I don't often like shots posted with frames, but this one works.

Frank you must be happy with this great shot. Cheers S
    :thumbsup: Shootme...

Please don't edit and re-post or use my images (not that you'd want to anyway...). without my written permission. Thank you

I am S. Thank you also for your advice, I'm sure I will learn a lot on this site.
    Frank

I used some "Curves", "Levels", and tweaked the colour balance and sharpness. Also some cloning to repair the washed-out highlights on Bonnie's back.

Here are the plugins, along with links to the pages from where I downloaded.

- Lomo (vignette)
    - Line border (and/or frame)
    - More plugins/scripts (hundreds]

Here's how to download these, as well as any others you might want. I also had trouble, but eventually figured it all out. I use Linux.

#1. Make sure the GIMP program window is closed. If the program is open and running, the scripts/plugins will not work. GIMP has to be closed at the moment of downloading, open it later.

#2. Right-click on the attachment link, or if you're mouse is left-handed, left-click.

#3. Normally click on "Save Linked Content As", or a similar option which comes up in the menu when you right-clicked in #1.

#4. Save to the "Scripts" folder. In my computer, the path is like this: home/.gimp-2.6/scripts

#5. Now, open an image in GIMP.

#6. Check the web page from where the downloading was done, it should state where the file can be found in the open GIMP. For example, for LOMO (vignette): Filters/Light and Shadow/Lomo

To get the best from the software, experiment. Also there are many online resources which are dedicated to the GIMP system, offering tips and advice. Note that these plug-ins require quite a bit of fiddling and experimenting to learn how to get the most out of them. No "auto fixes", it's all manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank632
    If you don't mind I would like to print a copy of it to give to my sister.
    Of course you may print it out. It is still your photo. I think however, it has too few pixels for good printing.

Thanks for the info Alex. I have Vista and that seems to present problems. I think the first thing I must do is concentrate on the basics, then start looking at filters. Once again many thanks for your help.
    Frank

The technical stuff is important -- and this is a great place to learn that -- but, the thoughts and emotions a photo prompts are important, too. I appreciate the tips and AMDA's editing -- good stuff, but I like the photo just because it caught my attention and I did wonder what is Bonnie looking for!

Hey, you're a good sport about our good-natured kidding also...

Welcome!

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thanks for the welcome and encouragment Paula. I am just getting back into technology after a 4 year layoff so still have a long way to go.
    Frank

Thread Information