Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Liz

What's in your head?

These 2 images were the first and only other shots I did of a NYC window display. I thought they were quite unique and couldn't resist shooting them. I posted them once before in VF. People knowledgeable in PS could probably make them more interesting.

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's in your head?-saks1int.jpg   What's in your head?-saks2int.jpg  

Re: What's in your head?

Great! Very interesting Liz, the right hand shot wins for me purely because the angle from which you have taken the shot appears to be more perpendicular to your subject. The reflections 'within the heads' are both really interesting (really like the way the mannequin merges with the signpost) and the use of light works well. Sadly a bit soft around the edges but not surprising and as you say, the borders could easily be sharpened up in photoshop.

Thanks for sharing!! Am inspired!
    Herriot

Liz,

Another great shot. Is that the reflection off the glass in the black silhouette of the head? I'm (again) confused by your subjects I love this shot, definately great potential. The frame in the background is a tad distracting, but I think this still works.

Well done!

Jared

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Liz,

Another great shot. Is that the reflection off the glass in the black silhouette of the head? I'm (again) confused by your subjects I love this shot, definately great potential. The frame in the background is a tad distracting, but I think this still works.

Well done!

Jared
    Jared,

Sorry for the lack of description. These were "silhouettes" painted on the display windows of Saks. The "frame" is a painted window.

What you're seeing within the "heads" are reflections from what is on the street - the street that the windows are facing (where I was standing to the side). You're not looking "through" the head to the other side, but what you're seeing is the reflection of the street outside. If I stood directly in front of the silhouette, you would have seen my reflection taking the picture. You can also see vague reflections in the frame because it is painted on the window/glass also.

I hope this makes sense.

Liz

Liz

Thank you for the comments, Herriot.

This is an example of what you find just walking around NYC! Saks has remarkable windows sometimes. Most of the time they are advertising their products, so there isn't much to shoot. But sometimes you hit the jackpot. ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Herriot
    Great! Very interesting Liz, the right hand shot wins for me purely because the angle from which you have taken the shot appears to be more perpendicular to your subject. The reflections 'within the heads' are both really interesting (really like the way the mannequin merges with the signpost) and the use of light works well. Sadly a bit soft around the edges but not surprising and as you say, the borders could easily be sharpened up in photoshop.

Thanks for sharing!! Am inspired!
    Herriot

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

What I really like here is how you took this designers initial idea and built a REALLY COOL pair of images out of them. I suspected PS work at the first glance but then quickly realized what was really going on and love it! It looks like you could set up in that location and get cool stuff like that all day long. Now that would be a neat project to do with stop motion or something huh? Same frames imaged throughout the day and then pasted together in a flip book slide show? Never mind me, just dreaming out loud. Great eye Liz!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    These 2 images were the first and only other shots I did of a NYC window display. I thought they were quite unique and couldn't resist shooting them. I posted them once before in VF. People knowledgeable in PS could probably make them more interesting.

Liz
    First, it's nice to see you posting here. Second, wow, these area really interesting. Bravo.

no offense but im not really a big fan of them - I think the idea is cool but the image is a bit vague. its too distracting to me.

Great job Liz. Love them both, specially the first one. And would love to see more of these.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Liz

I am certainly NOT offended. I can see why these images wouldn't "leap out" at everyone for many reasons. I'm not a big fan of this type of photography myself - and like John said, it's a "random" type of image. There was just something I found I like about it.

Thanks for your honesty - and I appreciate the comments.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    no offense but im not really a big fan of them - I think the idea is cool but the image is a bit vague. its too distracting to me.

Liz

Thanks for the comments. My post-processing is minimal. Otherwise, I might be able to play with them a bit more. However, I'm not one to sit at the computer for hours either, so I try to get what I can out of camera - it's more fun for me.

Confession: I learned a big lesson (which I needed to learn). I had about 4 more images and deleted them. Now I'm wondering if I could have worked on them a bit - I'm also wondering if they were as bad as I originally thought. I had a bad habit of deleting images too quickly - but I'm learniing.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    Great job Liz. Love them both, specially the first one. And would love to see more of these.

Thread Information