Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the bleep?

What the bleep?

In progress.

Re: What the bleep?

Awesome! love the triangle shape to the composition. I also like the lens distortion in giving the weird factor a boost. fantastic work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

More excellent work Dray. Personally I would like to see a little sight of his knees and trousers especially as his hands are resting there.. I do like that wrist watch!
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Excellent work Dray.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Aptly titled, and a dramatic shot that screams B & W only. As a work in progress I will wait for the final before offering suggestions if I can find any. Great work.
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Love it Dray! Especially like the bunny ear shaped shadow on the right-side wall. At the knees, I think I'd do something to either bring out or subdue the pinstripes below his fingertips. As Overbeyond also mentioned, that is one awesome wristwatch!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Lord I love stuff like this.
    Can't say anything that hasn't been said.
    Where do I get a watch like that and what is that hanging from his jacket pocket?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks, guys.

The pants - duly noted. They were darkened and obscured by the texture layer, so it's something I can fix.

Ron - all I'm really going to do, I think, is just some fine-tuning, cleaning up, etc. The pants, the couch directly behind him, the shadow of the hanging watch... making sure the big rabbit shadows look good... removing the high pass halos... etc. I originally had a clock hanging on the wall and a guitar leaning against the side of the couch, but neither added anything positive.

Frog - thanks! That's a pocket watch hanging from the jacket. And as for the wristwatch... any repair shop should have one that looks like his. lol

Thanks again. Have a great New Year!

Dray ma´ men! As I have said before...you never fail to amaze me with your shots!
    This is a killer one, the whole thing works perfect, the distortion, clothes, watches, tones, expression, lights, shadows, etc. Awesome shot!
    The broad range of elements add a unique flavor, but the hands of the subject really caught my eye, they have a strange proportion and great "texture". They frame the other key element just perfect...the rabbit.
    Surreal shot!
    Hats off!

Canon XSi
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM
    Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS
    1. "A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words."Ansel Adams
    2. "Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art."Ansel Adams

Dray, great photo for all the reasons noted above. The one thing that bothers me is the shadow of the ears on the wall. Love the shadow itself, but the angle is wrong, IMHO. Cock your two fingers as the bunny's ears are and shine a flashlight on the wall to see what I mean.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thanks Rob!

I agree, Paula. Very sharp shooting! It was the hardest thing about this image. Since I changed the perspective of the original (for which reason the flashlight trick, though a great idea, wouldn't really work) and added tons of illogical distortion, it was hard to figure out the ears. But it is definitely true. I will have to go back a play with the perspective tool...

Thanks!

The shadows on the wall and the rabbit on the lap really make the shot. Facial expression is priceless. I wish I had some "advice" but this is so far better than what I can do I'm not sure I could add anything if I wanted to.

Amazing creativity!

Appears like a character that scaped from the scary version of alice in wonderland

Fantastic!

Shebang: regarding the shadow, my initial "interpretation" was that the ear shadow on the right belongs to another bunny somewhere off-camera, and I'm not sure, but I think I make out another faint shadow of ears on the left side of the frame that may belong to the bunny on the lap (or am I imagining things? ).

Either way, amazing creativity Dray!

Thanks a lot everyone.

"As the bunny's ears are"... ah, I missed that part somehow. Paula, it appears that you might have been thinking that the shadows are shadows cast by the ears of the rabbit on his lap...? Which is not the case.

EDIT: unless you meant that the shadow ears should look similar to the bunny ears in terms of perspective...
    Last edited by draymorton; 12-31-2009 at 03:31 PM.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I figured the shadow on the wall that look like bunny ears was a quirk that just added to the picture.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

OHHHHH, NOW I see the shadow of the bunny-on-the-lap's ears on the LEFT! Because the cast shadows (be they ever so slight) in this picture are as though the light is coming from the left, which is traditionally the direction from which it comes in much art, and because the ear shadows on the right are more prominant, and because there is only one bunny....I quit looking after I saw the shadow on the right (Did you follow me through all that??!)

Regarding the flashlight -- I only intended that to demonstrate what I was trying to say, not that you should incorporate some flashlight trick in the photo -- you're way more talented than that!

Okay, now that we're through all that...........

Because of the cast shadow reasoning above, I think the ear shadow on the left should go away, and the ear shadow on the right should be "flipped" or mirrored so the angle is accurate...or at least close enough to accurate.....again, IMHO.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Paula,
    I think BenWa nailed it when he suggested
    my initial "interpretation" was that the ear shadow on the right belongs to another bunny somewhere off-camera, and I'm not sure, but I think I make out another faint shadow of ears on the left side of the frame that may belong to the bunny on the lap
    I really like the multiplying bunny theory even if it's not what Dray may have originally intended. So in my opinion, the less the shadows look like they came from the same bunny, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim
    Paula,
    I think BenWa nailed it when he suggested

I really like the multiplying bunny theory even if it's not what Dray may have originally intended. So in my opinion, the less the shadows look like they came from the same bunny, the better.
    I also felt the shadow of the ears were from another bunny lurking about on a table out of the picture or something. It was just there for whimsical and interesting "weirdness"

My only nitpik and it really is nothing in the big picture here, is wanting to see less fade of the sofa as it nears the wall. It seems to come into my mind everytime I view this.

Was this the 35mm lens used here?

gary

I'm glad you guys are getting the "multiple bunnies" thing. In my mind, there was the bunny on his lap and two additional bunnies... possibly... somewhere.

Someone else mentioned this and I thought it was a good comparison: did anyone see Bram Stoker's Dracula? I was thinking of the scene in the castle where Dracula's shadow would be doing something completely different than the count himself. The shadow had kind of a life of its own.

So I suppose I was originally going for something vaguely along those lines which then took a turn for the Fantasia idea of the shadows having no discernible origin.

Gary - I think the couch fades like that because of a texture layer. Pretty sure I can fix it.

This was the 24-70 at 24 or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by draymorton
    Gary - I think the couch fades like that because of a texture layer. Pretty sure I can fix it.

This was the 24-70 at 24 or close to it.
    I fiigured it was the layering but I would not call it "broken" where it would need to be fixed. Its really a personal call but I thought I would just tell you that it keeps coming to my attention, maybe because I am aware of the processing behind the scenes which is why I think it might not really be a significant thing at all.

gary

Definitely glad you said something, Gary. Should be an easy fix.

Very cool. I am sorry I have no critique to offer.

That's quite alright, daq. Thanks for the comment!

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Dray, to me this looks like a new version of the Mad Hatter.
    I also would like to see a finished copy.
    Feel Free to edit my photos, However please explain what you did to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information