Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: wet tree macro

learning member

wet tree macro

I am interested in that you do or dont like this, however my main reason for posting this is to get others interested in macro photography. it's so easy! I took this photo with the 18-70mm kit lens and a 36mm extension tube. I grabbed part of the tree with my left hand and moved it back & forth to focous, holding the camera with my right hand and shooting when it looked good. Aperture priority set to f22 iso 1600.
    This is a grab shot, imagine what one could do if they planned a shot, used a tripod, etc...
    I like this shot, I dont think its all that great, but its different.
    Kind of a rant, try it,
    Mark.
    edit.
    I also used Basic jpeg large, yeilding 280 shots on a 256 MB card! ( another percived no no)
    Mark.
    Last edited by mdmc; 04-10-2007 at 02:42 AM.

learning member

Re: wet tree macro

Quote Originally Posted by mdmc
    I am interested in that you do or dont like this, however my main reason for posting this is to get others interested in macro photography. it's so easy! I took this photo with the 18-70mm kit lens and a 36mm extension tube. I grabbed part of the tree with my left hand and moved it back & forth to focous, holding the camera with my right hand and shooting when it looked good. Aperture priority set to f22 iso 1600.
    This is a grab shot, imagine what one could do if they planned a shot, used a tripod, etc...
    I like this shot, I dont think its all that great, but its different.
    Kind of a rant, try it,
    Mark.
    edit.
    I also used Basic jpeg large, yeilding 280 shots on a 256 MB card! ( another percived no no)
    Mark.

Heres another pic from my 15 minuete excursion to the front yard.
    Get some extension tubes and shoot something small!
    This flower is about 1 in diameter.
    Mark

You have a good start, Mark. I really like the sunburst in the water drop.
    As you noted a tripod will make a good bit of difference in your shots. If you plan on doing much macro work, a focussing rail (or whatever they are called) to allow small, accurate fore and aft movements of the camera can be useful.
    ----------------------------

The first one is to soft for it to be interesting to me. The second one however is a very nice attempt. It has some blown out areas, but a reshoot could fix that right up.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the illustration (nice shots too). How much do them extension tubes cost?
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Macro shots can be very interesting, because we see a piece of the world that we would not normally focus on. But, I don't think they are as easy as they seem. These are impressive for handholding at that iso, but still not there yet. The drop on the branch pic should be sharper with much less noise and I think losing the leaves and exposing a bit more of the branch would help. The flower shot is sharper and cleaner ( probably because the shutter speed was faster being that it is much more lit than the other shot) and is not too bad but suffers from the blown out highlights. I hope you keep at it because I like the subjects you are setting your sights on.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

learning member

Chunk, thanks for posting! I noticed the sun in the drop as I waked past the tree, thats why I grabbed the camera. I wish I had set this up carefully and took a full frame shot of the drop because the sky, grass and other objects are in there as well as the sun.
    I have 3 things on my wish list for macro; a focusing rail, a 2x macro tc (vivitar used to make them),and a bellows. A focous rail is first on the list.
    Thanks again.
    Mark.

learning member

Almo, thanks for posting! I agree with you about both pics. The first one does give me ideas about drops and back lit leaves. For high contrast shots like the second one I will try portait film. I would like to try Kodaks newer hyper color portrait film. Did you notice the white spots on the flower?
    I think that may be a result of using the highest compression jpeg, basic large, 0.8MB file for 6MP image. Somethig I can easily check out.
    Thans again,
    Mark.

learning member

Tim, This is the post I was hoping for. A set of three 12, 20, 36mm Kenko brand for nikon af are $159, and $20-$30 less for other brands. They work with just about any lense!
    I would buy a book or get one from the library to learn more about macro. I have read only one book that I got from the library while in the army at Ft stewart Ga. I think the title was The manual for macro photography. I'm not to sure about the spelling, but the authors name was Lester Leifkowicks. There aint nothing about macro he left out. Its out of print but maybe the library.
    Other than that any book about the subject should be very helpfull.
    Back to youre Q, you can get nikon brand individual tubes at different sizes, but they carry the nikon price.
    The Kenko's work fine and are high quality.
    I'm really glad you liked the piks and that you have an interest in this!
    Thanks for posting,
    Mark.
    edit, BTW, got mine from B&H. GREAT store!

learning member

Gary, thanks for posting! Nothing about photography is all that easy, is it? I just dont make the time to do fine art photos, but with encouragement from you and others, I think I can get there!
    I always look forward to the pics you post, and the comments that you post. I have learned a lot from you, as i'm sure others have to. I hope to learn much more from you.
    Thank you for posting again,
    Speacial thanks for youre encouragement,
    Mark.

Have you stacked all three tubes together yet? You'll have a razor thin dof but startling photos of the right kind of subjects - you'll want that focusing rail first.
    ----------------------------

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Have you stacked all three tubes together yet? You'll have a razor thin dof but startling photos of the right kind of subjects - you'll want that focusing rail first.
    Yes, w/ 2x tc between tubes and body for max mag. Didnt go over too well, but this is the type of stuff i like! Not the best example, but i like it.
    This flower is about half the diameter( 1/2 in) but much more magnifiied.
    Mark.

I've made a couple of attempts at macro shots and have yet to have a had a decent shot. I love macro shots and if done right, look quite incredible. I Love that 2nd shot of the flower and am not at all bothered by the blown out areas. Great shot !
    ~Nina~

Thread Information