Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Digital Pinhole #2

From the first day's experiment. This one was taken about 10 minutes after the park benches, looking down an alley. This one is my favorite so far...

Comments?

-Stew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Digital Pinhole #2-pinhole_alley1.jpg  

Re: Digital Pinhole #2

Very nice, i took some and they look that blurry so i guess its ok, i did the same thing u did its such a good idea, i dont have a rubber band that will fit in aroudn my camera so i just used the normal body lens hole cover
    ~Something is nothing~
    ~Nothing is somthing~

Quote Originally Posted by Young Shooter
    Very nice, i took some and they look that blurry so i guess its ok, i did the same thing u did its such a good idea, i dont have a rubber band that will fit in aroudn my camera so i just used the normal body lens hole cover
    I have remade my pinhole with a much smaller one to see what happens. I am going to go out soon and collect some new ones...

Keep working on yours! And post when you feel you've got something... I will be excited to see it.

Cheers, Stew

This is a gorgeous image Stew. I agree that it out shines the first post. The soft glow of the image is fasinating and the whole photograph just grabs you and pulls you in. Very mysterious and intriguing. Well Done!
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    This is a gorgeous image Stew. I agree that it out shines the first post. The soft glow of the image is fasinating and the whole photograph just grabs you and pulls you in. Very mysterious and intriguing. Well Done!
    OT,

Thanks! Your kind words are once again appreciated, and I am happy you see it in the same way as myself. The diffuseness is what draws me in as well. The one thing that I personally enjoy is that there is no PS work here - that is how the camera sees it! I am enjoying the unique effect of the pinhole...

Cheers, Stew

I think that this shot shows your good eye for composition, but as I've sat looking at it I've been wondering whether you need to know the background as to how it was taken before you can really appreciate it. Otherwise, in our rather cynical 21st Century world, my first thought would be that this was a well composed, sharp picture with an added layer in PS wih Gaussian blur, brightening, and about 60% opacity.

I don't want to sound as if I'm denigrating the shot, and I can certainly see the attraction of pinhole photography. These shots have actually made me want to try it out myself. As a broader point though, it has raised issues in my mind about tying one hand behind your back to achieve a look that you could also achieve in PS - and whether the handicaps a photographer imposes to create a look should be taken into account when you judge the result, or whether every image must stand or fall entirely on its own merits, with no insight as to how it was achieved.

I don't pretend to have any answers, but this post certainly made me wonder about those questions.

Looking forward to more.

Regards,

matt
    Last edited by mattp; 03-28-2005 at 02:46 PM.

mattp,

You bring up an excellent point that I honestly, probably due to my enthusiasm at this early stage, had not yet considered. I think your point is valid. I would probably question this photo as well, if it was someone else's, for exactly the same reason you did. It actually disheartens me a little to think that this effect - which I had so much fun creating through the pinhole process - could indeed be replicated (or mostly replicated) with some relatively easy PS maneuvers. I know that wasn't your intent, but nevertheless it's true.

However, you also speak to an interesting point about art and its value. Given the context, this photo might be of interest. Out of context, this photo is probably not as interesting. I will have to think some more on this, and perhaps it would be a good topic for the Viewfinder...

Thanks for taking the time to reflect and share your thoughts! They were very valuable to me...

Cheers, Stew

I personally am not into this type of photography but I must admit that I like how you composed this and I do like this image. That tree looks so mysterious and ominous in between those buildings. Makes you wonder about the history that has surrounded this tree. Is there evil lurking somewhere nearby? Kewl shot.
    ~Nina~

Actually, pinhole photography is one of the most interesting branches of photography. The main, and I might say, very tempting aspect of pinhole photography is the (near) infinite depth of field. But then again, this depends heavily on the size of the pinhole. You need an extremely small pinhole to get the effects most desired. I would keep up the work, and try to get a smaller pinhole than you already have. Keep up the experimenting.

Dzerzhinski
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." John Milton

Lost Planet Cameraman #8

Thread Information