Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Waiting for Someone Who Will Not Show Up

Hi All,
    The shot was taken at Gateway of India in Mumbai. The place was built in the 1910s and was a place to welcome the VIPs' visits in the past.
    Welcome your comments.
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waiting for Someone Who Will Not Show Up-r0010567-jpg.jpg  

drg

Re: Waiting for Someone Who Will Not Show Up

There's always room to call this "Let sleeping dog lie" as well. Might be an interesting commentary on the whole colonialism theme that goes along with this image.

Was this originally color and desaturated or is it the color of the light?

I like how the two gates play off against one another in this image and the singularity of the dog sleeping/waiting. It adds to the whole impression that this is indeed a relic.

Glad to see this photo!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Hello Yoyo
    "If those tourists think I'm moving, they will just have to think again" is what doggie is saying to me.
    The insignificance of the dog in comparison to the vast, in your face arch works well here.
    That thingy inside the gates, a vending stall or something. is a little bit in the way for me.
    Also, the uninteresting view through the arch enables full concentration on the architecture and shape of the arch.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

It is kind of a sad picture to me....homeless dog sleeping on the streets..

My only critique is that it seems to be leaning to the right just a little, other then that, I really like it.....but it is a sad feeling picture to me. (That dog needs to be on a big king sized bed!)
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

That is one comfortable dog, and also looks well fed. He knows where to get is 4 square meals a day.

Other than the tilt it looks good to me. Removing the cart/booth would make it better. What are all the people doing there?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Yoyo,

Great black and white first off. There isn't much to add with what the others have said but I definitely love this shot as the dog is relatively subtle in the shot but he adds such a great element. Wonderful title too,

Well done.

Nothing to add except I love this photo! Great tones too.

[QUOTE=jar_e]Yoyo,

Great black and white first off.
    [QUOTE]

More like black and ivory or even light beige to be precise, Jared. Look more carefully!

Ronnoco

There is a very solitary feel to this shot. It makes me want to adopt the dog . I guess my only critique is something that you really couldn't fix now anyway; I'd put it at more of an angle to make it a bit more dramatic. And, if there were an empty sidewalk-to include that to really emphasize the loneliness of the mutt. However, It still evokes sadness and is a relatively good photo as it is.

[QUOTE=Ronnoco][QUOTE=jar_e]Yoyo,

Great black and white first off.

More like black and ivory or even light beige to be precise, Jared. Look more carefully!

Ronnoco
    Hi Ronnoco
    Any feelings on the actual shot itself?
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Hi drg, Thanks for the comments. The image was converted to B&W with a colour tint.

Hi Overbeyond, You are right about the thiny inside the gate. I wish they were not there as well!

Hi Chow, It is a sad picture to me too. You are right about the tilt.

Hi Roger, Thanks for the comments. The people were waiting for boats or enjoying the sea breeze.

Hi Jared, There are so many stray dogs in Mumbai but most of them are in a poor conditions.

Hi payn, I am glad that you like the shot.

Hi molaselake, Thanks for sharing your views. I also feel the sad emotion in this shot.

yoyo

Thread Information