Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Question Some shots I've done

I'd love to hear your comments! I've been into photography for about a year and a half. I have a Nikon FM2 that is my regular camera. I also have a FED-2 that I use every once in a while. Also have a Minolta SRT-100 that I want to have repaired - it was my father's. With the exception of "3am on the streetcar" these were taken with the Nikon, uising Ilford Delta 100 and developed normally. 3am was taken with a inexpensive B+H Point and shoot. These are all scanned directly from the negs and only brightness/contrast adjusted in photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some shots I've done-3am.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

my favs are the helmet on the fence, and the streetcar scene. nice shots!
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

lumbering along at a decent pace...
    My favorite shot is the street car one. It has a depression-era feeling of desolation to it, and the angle from one of the side seats draws your attention to the guy sitting in front, who looks either drunk or really tired. A great B&W shot--it shows that composition is more important that equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    My favorite shot is the street car one. It has a depression-era feeling of desolation to it, and the angle from one of the side seats draws your attention to the guy sitting in front, who looks either drunk or really tired. A great B&W shot--it shows that composition is more important that equipment.
    Thanks so much for the comments. (You too Bingo!) The streetcar one was taken with the point and shoot. The Bell and Howell I have actually takes amazing pictures for a p+s. It cost like $30 at WalMart too.

It was funny. It was 3am and we were coming home from the french quarter and I was a little tipsy. I saw the guy in the front of the car and thought it'd be cool to get him as he pulled the line to signal the driver to stop. Well, I sat there with him in my vewfinder for about 10 minutes waiting for him to pull the darn thing. Finally got it! hehehe

What merckxman said...

...the last shot is a very interesting composition and one that conveys a number of possible emotions.

While I am an abstraction lover myself, I have to encourage you to continue shooting the kind of "human" composition you have created in this streetcar. You obviously have a flair for it and so I'd encourage you to develop it as much as you can, practically speaking. It's an excellent image.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information