Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Goldfinch

Goldfinch

Caught this one sitting on a green briar. Liked the colors. Let me know what you'all think, please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goldfinch-goldfinch-1-1-.jpg  

Re: Goldfinch

Did not like the white area on top of wing and PSed it out. Is this too much? Do you think I have crossed the line with this? Obviously it looks better to me now, but am I faking it?

Horace
    Best
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Goldfinch-goldfinch-1-1-.jpg  

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I like the pose and the OOF background really helps to highlight your subject.

As far as the cloning out of the white area on the wing, it's not something I would have done. As a nature photographer I know that not all of my subjects are going to be "perfect" and that is fine with me. It's natural. The white area on the wing tells a different story than the image with it cloned out. Is the bird molting or injured? It gives the viewer a different perspective of your subject. Don't get me wrong, I love to photography critters that look "perfect" but there is something to be said about showing the ones that aren't too.

On a more technical side, I think the cloning takes away from the image because now that area seems soft. In the original image the white area on the wing is sharp with lots of detail. In the cloned image is seems much softer.

I'm not against cloning things out of my photos to make them better, but sometimes that can take more away from the image than it adds.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I think on both of them are soft and you can get more detail in the photo. I would lighten up the shadows a little and add some detail and contrast to make it stand out. Doing this will help separate the subject from the background more. Would you mind if I show you what I'm talking about? Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Go for it!

The first one looks like it has more attitude than the second, imo. great picture.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

I like the first one as well. Maybe dodge around the dark areas of the head and eyes slightly, but not much. That is a very beautiful bird.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

This is my attempt. By making the background a little lighter the bird stands out more from the background. I added a little contrast and sharpened it some which allows more detail to show in the feathers, Jeff

My picture looked as described above when I viewed it on my screen but after I downloaded it to the site it came out almost identical to yours. I liked it until it was posted here so I just deleted it, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You can def tell the pic was altered in the second. I agree with mjs that your subject is never going to be perfect. Great color contrast but just a tad grainy. That's just being super nit-picky!
    The first step is BEING THERE to take it...

Thread Information